how to read a GameEngine

Started by
10 comments, last by EvilNando 15 years, 9 months ago
I was assigned to get familiar with a GameEngine,but I have no idea how to get start with it.There are too many files and codes.Who can tell me what i should do first? Thanks a lot
Advertisement
Read the manual, then read the samples.
My first recommendation would definitely be to just use it for a while. Get used to its interfaces and how it thinks. Then you can start digging around inside it and get a better feel for how things work because you will have a better understanding of how they fit into the whole.
Look at samples and any tutorials. You're right, trying to go through every class is crazy. Just treat the engine like any other set of libraries or API... you wouldn't try to learn DirectX by looking at the source!
Agreed, pick up the samples and the manual then start experimenting.
but my problem is the Engine is developed by the company i'm working at.There no such samples and tutorials for me.Only project and code are available.Then what should I do?
Quote:Original post by tonydongyiqi
but my problem is the Engine is developed by the company i'm working at.There no such samples and tutorials for me.Only project and code are available.Then what should I do?

Learning to program would be a good start.
Quote:Original post by Antheus

Learning to program would be a good start.

I would have said to start updating the resume, but your answer is a bit more tactful.

--------Ratings - Serious internet buisness
Your company developed the engine, and doesn't have ANY samples of using it. WTF man. WTF.
Yup. There has to be some part of the game you can look at. Entities, effects, scripts... something.
All those are going to touch all the main engine routines in some way. From there you can start looking into the workings of each routine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement