• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

New Programmer Needs help

This topic is 3514 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am 15 and i have a whole summer to learn something, so i was wondering if someone would point out some good websites to help a teen learn c++ tyvm

Advertisement
Depends. Are you already familiar with programming, or do you wish to learn both C++ and programming at the same time?

Either way, you can always start here.

Hi thanks for the respond i want to learn C++ first before i get into games so i can be more used to the language and i will check out the link

As a side note, mo matter how much effort you put into it, learning C++ well enough to program a non-trivial game will take more than a summer—I would probably count on at least six months of learning before any reasonable project—so you might have to delay game development until next summer.

If your only objective is to write games, I would suggest a language with a shorter learning curve, such as Python.

Im not trying to start game devlopement yet like i said but i want to work on c++ and i will probally work on it after school when i finish my homework (since i got no life :P)

I guess if your objective is to learn C++, then this is the way to go. As far as development environments go, I would suggest downloading Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition from the Microsoft website for free. It's quite possibly the best C++ IDE available today.

No offence, but c++ is going to be really hard to learn if you are 15 and havent had any programming experience.

I started learning it when I was 16, am now 17, and its still managing to confuse me at times.

So maybe looking into another programming language, like python as people on these forums always say that for beginners, then once you have learned that, it will be easier to learn other programming languages.

Quote:
Original post by thephil
No offence, but c++ is going to be really hard to learn if you are 15 and havent had any programming experience.

Age doesn't really matter, I started with C++ when I was 11. And it won't necessarily take more than 2 months to get into game development if you're smart about it - after all, tic-tac-toe, hang-man, guess-the-number, and other types of simple yet effective games do very much exist [wink].

Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
Quote:
Original post by thephil

Age doesn't really matter, I started with C++ when I was 11. And it won't necessarily take more than 2 months to get into game development if you're smart about it - after all, tic-tac-toe, hang-man, guess-the-number, and other types of simple yet effective games do very much exist [wink].

I know that, but I was just trying to say that its not going to be easy.

I guess I just said it wrong. Sorry.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement