• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
scottrick49

what is BREW?

This topic is 3721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is BREW? I was under the impression that it was an API that sat on top of the phone operating system and is used for application development on cell phones, but then I had some guy tell me it was actually a cell phone operating system. Can somebody clarify how BREW works with the cell phone (and its operating system)? Thanks.

Advertisement
Yes I did read that but I am not sure what it means by "application development platform." What is a a software platform? Does that mean its an operating system?

Quote:
BREW runs between the application and the wireless device's chip operating system so as to enable a programmer to develop applications without needing to code for system interface or understand wireless applications.

so it is an library that abstracts hardware/OS kind of like opengl only more general.

From further down the page
Quote:
For software developers, it is a complete set of APIs that enables software development and applications in C, C++ and Java and is supported (platform) by an ASIC. It has a footprint of about 15900 K. BREW is also known as the pseudo OS and it runs on BREW RTOS.
so it is kind of both depending on the context.

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
Quote:
BREW runs between the application and the wireless device's chip operating system so as to enable a programmer to develop applications without needing to code for system interface or understand wireless applications.

so it is an library that abstracts hardware/OS kind of like opengl only more general.

BREW - Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless - is a runtime environment, acting as an RTOS and translation layer to run applications on. OpenGL is an API, that works on a number of different operating systems. To that regard, they are different.

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
From further down the page
Quote:
For software developers, it is a complete set of APIs that enables software development and applications in C, C++ and Java and is supported (platform) by an ASIC. It has a footprint of about 15900 K. BREW is also known as the pseudo OS and it runs on BREW RTOS.
so it is kind of both depending on the context.

The nomenclature for BREW has extended to the point that people refer to the API and libraries required to develop applications as BREW as well as the actual environment that the application is running on. Flash Lite, for example, is not related to the BREW Programming API, but runs on the BREW platform.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!