• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowBit

Are quests worth planning? (for a MMORPG)

This topic is 3749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let's say we are making a MMORPG, where players get experience both from PvE and from quests, and we want to create quests; I'm thinking of a few types of quests: 1) NPC_1 asks the player to kill X of this or that ceature 2a) NPC_2 asks the player to get a potion from NPC_3, who will ask to find some ingredients, which require.... etc... 2b) NPC_4 asks you to rescue someone, but that someone tells you something about NPC_4 that makes you doubt of his story, etc... Now, the first type looks easier to me concerning implementation, and if we change the NPC giving the quest, the creature requested and the X number, we'll make lots of quest quickly (but very similar). The second type requires more planning, more npc interaction, exploration, a background mini-story, etc... The problem is: soon after the quests are ingame, the players will put solutions online, totally removing the challenge from the second quest, so is it worth spending time to create them? Someone could say that who likes the quests, will solve them without solutions, but unless the quests give no reward at all, some people will be getting an advantage (reward) without actually putting any effort in it, and I'm a follower of the "no free lunch" principle :) So... would you spend time in making such quests? Would you accept that players use solutions, or will try to take measures against that? (like.... mmmm??? suggestions are welcome).

Advertisement
Solution is simple, change them regularly.

if you quest to rescue NPC X is given by NPC Y at location Z... well, change the "quest giver", the "to be rescued NPC" and the location from time to time.

Example : Robert, the bartender at Club X tells you Julia "need to be rescued" (found later at Hotel Z).

a few days/weeks later change it to : John, the GYM X owner where you train tells you Lynn "need to be rescued" (found later in the basement of Club X!)

if it's good for 2A : different NPC asks you to get a different potion from a different NPC who requires different ingredients... it's good for 2B too ;)

just prepare LOTS of variations for the same quests and it should all be good, it will give you more work but you'll get what you want.

The entire point and job of a game master (in an MMORPG) is to design new quests faster than the players can post results to the internet (and remove old quests when they don't fit anmore).

The issue I can see and I always had issue was is that most Quests in MMORPGs and hell even RPGs in a lot of cases are WAY too vague about what you are to do.

I can't count the number of times that I've had a "Find X" quest with next to know information available on where to look and have spent HOURS wandering around and then lose total interest in questing period. Happened for me in EQ, Star Wars Galaxies, etc...

Sadly enough, WoW has relatively easy to follow descriptions. Everyone has posted solutions, but it flows. *shrug* One mans opinion =P

Edit: And just to actually answer the question. I find questing fun. I enjoy the story line provided by quests as well as lore. So the more indepth it is, or the more thought provoking the better in my opinion. Just don't make them too hard for players to follow. We can be dumb sometimes ~_^

Most "quests" are really more like "odd jobs" in RPGs. Menial, repetitive tasks that provide little more than a time sink in exchange for XP or currency, maybe a little piece of loot here and there.

I think the core gameplay is to blame, really. The ancient and venerable "one-man-army chops his way through thousands of zealous, but weak adversaries, looting their corpses and stealing their treasure, then returns their ears to a merchant in exchange for potions" paradigm only allows so much freedom.

In the game I'm beginning to develop I'm interested in seeing if I can generate an entire self sufficient economy for every faction (mostly simulated at a high level but some actions affect this). To sustain the economy the primary need is gathering food and water, secondary is housing, medical and some defense and last is goods for trade or luxury. Each need is handled by one or more activities that the player can perform.

With this system, there could be auto generated quests when someone runs out of something or wants supplies to produce a trade good and the player can use any available method to supply the good. This would prevent a single solution approach as some methods may not work as resources run out or shift around.

Also as mentioned above is generating the quests instead of pre-generated quests. The template could be there is a raider (x skills) (y location) that needs to be stopped so that the people can travel again. After you locate the raider by acting like a peasant, sneaking around to find him or just going out with a hunting party, you can choose to kill him, drive him off or hire him as a mercenary/new citizen.

To me the problem is that quests are peasant at predetermined coordinates tells you about monster at predetermined coordinates with predetermined weaknesses that you have to kill. The design should give freedom to resolve a problem in different ways so that the player can think to resolve it instead of button mashing.

Quote:
Original post by ShadowBit
The problem is: soon after the quests are ingame, the players will put solutions online, totally removing the challenge from the second quest, so is it worth spending time to create them?

Does the challenge of the quest depend on the player not knowing what is going on? I thought the challenge would be in the collecting X,Y, and Z. So is the challenge of collecting X,Y and Z the fact that I have no clue where X is? If so then I don't think I like your game.

If you want to have little fetch quests why not allow them to be player driven? Crafters can offer gold for various items they require to craft.

Quests in an MMORPG serve many different roles but one major reason you want them in the game is to manipulate what the players are doing. A player can sit down and kill 10,000 trolls and get to the next level. The problem is they are likely to be kinda bored by this won't see the ogres, werewolves, and vampires you populated your world with.

Personally I think this funtion should be renamed tasks or missions. Quests on the other hand can be more thoughtfully designed and written while also being limited in number. The primary purpose of the quest would be to tell a story and provide the player with something interesting to read and do.

Now there is still the potential to have guides online to quests but the insentive to read the guide is far less than it is with the missions.

Quote:
Original post by ECorELSE
Solution is simple, change them regularly.

if you quest to rescue NPC X is given by NPC Y at location Z... well, change the "quest giver", the "to be rescued NPC" and the location from time to time.

Example : Robert, the bartender at Club X tells you Julia "need to be rescued" (found later at Hotel Z).

a few days/weeks later change it to : John, the GYM X owner where you train tells you Lynn "need to be rescued" (found later in the basement of Club X!)

if it's good for 2A : different NPC asks you to get a different potion from a different NPC who requires different ingredients... it's good for 2B too ;)

just prepare LOTS of variations for the same quests and it should all be good, it will give you more work but you'll get what you want.

Yes, this is along the lines of what I had in mind :)
Probably would work much better in a single-player RPG (so the player gets new quests whenever re-playing the game), but can be applied to a MMORPG too: the problem I see is that someone starts a quest, than stop playing for a couple of weeks, and when comes back the quest doesn't exist anymore; but this can be solved adding a "time limit" to some quests (not all of them, obviously would depend on the case), so for example if the NPC asks you to find a potion to save his wounded pet, you can't go back with the potion after 3 months and expect to be rewarded for that :)

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
Quote:
The problem is: soon after the quests are ingame, the players will put solutions online, totally removing the challenge from the second quest, so is it worth spending time to create them?

Does the challenge of the quest depend on the player not knowing what is going on? I thought the challenge would be in the collecting X,Y, and Z. So is the challenge of collecting X,Y and Z the fact that I have no clue where X is? If so then I don't think I like your game.

It's not about "not having a clue", it's more about the player having to think/work to solve the quest:
- example 1
during a quest you get to a riddle written on a stone, and 3 doors which correspond to 3 different answers: 1 will heal you, 1 will give you an item, 1 will make some monsters appear and attack you -> all this is pointless if the players already know the answer to the riddle even before reading it
- example 2
you have to find an item in a certain cave with hostile creatures, so you'll have to explore it while fighting, but if you already know the coordinates of the item, all you do is run in, get the item, run out
- example 3
an NPC asks to find an item, and offer a big reward.... but when you bring the item, he attacks you instead: were you prepared for the fight? maybe not, and you'll risk to die; or maybe you talked to other NPCs around the area, and heard rumors about the guy you are woking for, plus the big reward for an easy task made you suspicious, so you went to the meeting well armed and with some friends?

I'd say there are 2 types of challenges, 1 rely on how hard to defeat are some opponents, 1 requires the player to make choices or follow the story he's put into: IMO solutions spoil this second type of challenges.

Quote:
I'd say there are 2 types of challenges, 1 rely on how hard to defeat are some opponents, 1 requires the player to make choices or follow the story he's put into: IMO solutions spoil this second type of challenges.

I think that is a choice a player has to make...
When you have a book you can directly read the last chapter, or find in the ending of a movie in web, the player is the one to decide.

But somethings can be solved like in your examples 1 and 2 just put the solution in a random point.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!