• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Landscape

This topic is 3572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in creating a 3D landscape representation of a computer game I play, using C# and directx, how would I proceed?

Advertisement
You could:
  • Create the landscape in your model editor of choice and then render it.
  • Create a heightmap from the landscape and render that.
  • Figure out the format of the game's landscape data and load and render that.

Or possibly some other way I haven't thought of. The way you chose to do it depends on far too many factors for anyone to list the thousands of possible ways of landscape rendering that can be found on Google.

Try reading up about terrain generation and rendering. Google.

Remember that whilst something might have been written in C++ to use OpenGL the ideas behind it are usually applicable to other languages and rendering APIs.

General Terrain using C++ and OpenGL/DirectX
    Robot-Frog : Terrain Generation
    vterrain.org
    Lighthouse3d terrain tutorial

XNA C#
    XNA C# terrain tutorial - the links are down the right to be confusing.
    Terrain with Roads Sourcecode - read the site, it has a whole section on XNA and terrain.

Andy

Quote:
    Original post by Evil Steve
    You could:
  • Create the landscape in your model editor of choice and then render it.
  • Create a heightmap from the landscape and render that.
  • Figure out the format of the game's landscape data and load and render that.

Or possibly some other way I haven't thought of. The way you chose to do it depends on far too many factors for anyone to list the thousands of possible ways of landscape rendering that can be found on Google.

• Well I know the format of the file and everything, I have the map editor more or less done with 2D editing and rendering.

I'll take a look at those links though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement