Win32 vs C++ Runtime

Started by
15 comments, last by Rydinare 15 years, 9 months ago
If I use func. like "memset" it is implemented using Win32 "FillMemory". Thus, if I want to avoid indirection, not caring for portability, I should always use Win32 directly. Correct?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Terefere
If I use func. like "memset" it is implemented using Win32 "FillMemory". Thus, if I want to avoid indirection, not caring for portability, I should always use Win32 directly. Correct?
There's absolutely no reason to do that - the Win32 version might not always be used at all; for instance memcpy() uses some assembly to do the copy.

I wouldn't be surprised if memset was just a macro for FillMemory anyway, or at least was optimised away to one function call.
"Avoiding indirection" is a waste of time here. The only thing I can think that you might be considering is the performance implications, but those are completely trivial and will make no difference on the measurable performance of your code.
No, functions like memset, memcpy,..., are, in most compilers (MSVC too), no real functions but compiler instrinsics, they're built-in in the compiler. The code is inserted inline, and it is more efficient than Win32 API functions.

'Normal' functions like fopen, fwrite,... might be a little slower than then the Win32 functions, but the performance gained is very little or nothing, depending on the implementation. And you should always use the standard library functions if you can. Win32 functions can become deprecated, they can change their behavior in next versions, the C/C++ standard library hasn't changed for a long time and it isn't likely it will be changed soon.
Aren't C++ standard libs implemented using Windows API? I thought, when I use for ex. "fopen" it is implemented using Win32 etc. Is this true?

Edit:
So for mem - C++, for file i/o - Win32.
Quote:
Aren't C++ standard libs implemented using Windows API? I thought, when I use for ex. "fopen" it is implemented using Win32 etc. Is this true?

In general, yes. OS controls the platform, so all the standard functionality you get from C++ or any language is implemented either 'from scratch' (like memcpy generally is) or in terms of some OS primitive function (like CreateFile for fopen).
In general, when there's a portable solution, you're much better choosing the portable solution. You never know when today's requirements might change tomorrow. The only times when you should go with a non-portable solution is if it's proven (not theorized) that the non-portable solution is significantly faster (a 2% difference is not significant) or much easier to implement. Even then, I suggest wrapping OS-specific things in a more portable layer.

I've seen it happen, so far, at every company I've worked at, where the assumption was made of something only needing to work on a specific platform was made. Later on, management realized that another platform was viable. In some cases, it was relatively easy, because the platforms were similar enough. In one case, it was a two-man one year porting effort (no joke), which is an insane expense for the company, that they weren't aware they had incurred, until it happened. The head of the division, being a former software developer, was utterly shocked that the development team had made such a poor decision. In one case, it was determined that they were so tied into windows that that they didn't have the manpower to rewrite the code to a different platform and missed what appeared to be a golden opportunity that likely would've made the company a lot of money. This is the reality of life and software development.

In summary, be extremely careful about going non-portable, unless you have good justification for doing so. When you do go non-portable, do your best to isolate the non-portable pieces.
How about allocations, considering speed on Windows only. HeapAlloc or malloc?
Quote:Original post by Rydinare
The only times when you should go with a non-portable solution is if it's proven (not theorized) that the non-portable solution is significantly faster (a 2% difference is not significant) or much easier to implement. Even then, I suggest wrapping OS-specific things in a more portable layer.

Or the portable one can't do what the OS specific one can, for example Async IO can't be done with the portable C or C++ IO functions.

I do second the advice that it's often worth while putting a portable layer around such things; in general you'll want to add abstraction in software development not take it away [smile]
Quote:Original post by Terefere
How about allocations, considering speed on Windows only. HeapAlloc or malloc?

The real question to ask is that, assuming there were a significant speed difference, why wouldn't the implementation make the substitution for you? It would be trivial to do so, so you can assume that either MSVC *does* make that substitution or there is no significant speed difference between the two.

Anyway, heap allocation is extremely slow compared to the cost of one function call - so it won't matter much anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement