Sign in to follow this  

Choosing the right OS for game Development

This topic is 3477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering which OSs are used for game development on the XBOX 360? and another thing, how good is Windows Vista for Game Development when compared to Windows XP-SP2? Any help would be greatly appreciated? :)

You'd probably be better off on Windows if you're developing for XBox.

Vista or XP? Doesn't really matter. I know a lot of people have been ragging on Vista, but I love it. It's great for development, just as good as XP in my opinion. It's the tools you use, not so much the OS.

Agreed. If you have a decent machine, Vista is better than XP (Apple-commercial inspired uninformed whining notwithstanding), and from a development perspective it doesn't make much difference. Most of the Vista problems were not with Vista in the first place, but with 3rd party drivers and software, and most of that is fixed.

But if you're planning on targetting the XB360, you definitely want to be in a Windows environment... you can use XNA to get going.

Thanks for your your replies.
But I have a few ore questions:
Using Windows Vista doesn't affect performance in any way?
And what about compatibility?
What programs are used and are they fully compatible with Vista?
One last thing are there any advantages of using Vista over XP?

Any help will be greatly appreciateed? :)

Quote:
Original post by CodeBoy101
Thanks for your your replies.
But I have a few ore questions:
Using Windows Vista doesn't affect performance in any way?

The game's running on the XBox360, not your PC. The OS your PC is using therefore has no effect on the performance of the game you're making.

Vista can be a bit sluggish on slower (i.e. older) PCs, but the effect on the development tools is unlikely to affect your productivity. Any PC can run a text editor at a decent speed.

Quote:

And what about compatibility?
What programs are used and are they fully compatible with Vista?

Visual Studio + XNA. Both are made by Microsoft, who also built Windows XP and Windows Vista, therefore compatibility is not an issue.

Quote:

One last thing are there any advantages of using Vista over XP?

XP was released in 2001 and lacks a compositor. Vista has such a compositor (which allows for some GUI features which would have been hard, if not impossible, to achieve sensibly otherwise), and also includes a new security model.

Most people complain about Vista's increased security, but the incompatibilities reported are almost always caused by older programs that weren't written properly to begin with, or which were written for earlier versions of Windows and therefore assumed the user would always have Power User or Administrator privileges.

UNIX-based operating systems (including Apple's own OS X, which is essentially a BSD UNIX release with a fancy GUI), have used a similar security model to that of Vista, without any problems. The fault lies in the application developers, who were lazy and prefer to blame the platform instead of admitting that they suck at reading documentation.

In fairness, some of Vista's user interface changes do not appear to have been well thought-out. I find networking *much* easier to deal with on XP than on Vista, for example. The GUI elements added to deal with the new security model are also flawed in design. However, these issues will likely be resolved in later Service Packs, much as XP's early flaws -- yes, it did have some! -- were addressed during later updates.

(FYI: I'm a Mac user now, but I used to use Windows exclusively and still maintain PCs for family and friends, as well as for a school. There's no such thing as a "Best Operating System" in my opinion: they're all crap. Some are just differently crap compared to others.)

Hmmm... I know very little about XBox-specific development, but if you are using Visual Studio, you may find it a bit sluggish with less than 2 GB of RAM under Vista.

Quote:
Original post by ruby-lang
Hmmm... I know very little about XBox-specific development, but if you are using Visual Studio, you may find it a bit sluggish with less than 2 GB of RAM under Vista.

Simply not true I am afraid. Running XNA will require a Shader, however, I ran VS 2005 without any issues on my old computer which had 256mb RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Original post by ruby-lang

That isn't true at all... if you have a machine with more than 1GB of RAM and a decent processor, Vista will work fine. In the event something is running sluggish, dial down the eye candy. By the time you get to 2GB you will be wondering what everyone is complaining about with Vista. And if you have less than 2GB of RAM these days, you don't have much room to complain in the first place. It's 2008.

Quote:
Original post by thk123That isn't true at all... if you have a machine with more than 1GB of RAM and a decent processor, Vista will work fine.
Well... yeah. I think we are stating the same thing in half-full and half-empty terms.

Quote:
Original post by thk123
Simply not true I am afraid. Running XNA will require a Shader, however, I ran VS 2005 without any issues on my old computer which had 256mb RAM, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Oh man. I did some professional development work under those conditions (XP of course) and I must say I sincerely admire your resistance to pain.

Lol, I guess you kinda get used to it... It's ok once it gets started, just providing you don't want to open and close stuff and, I don't know, want to have a web browser open at the same time! :P But yeah, upgraded a few weeks ago to 4gb, loving it, so nice to just be able to open and close stuff. But in answer to the original OP, the only practical way of developing for the 360 is with XNA, XNA is going to need a Windows OS, which one you use really doesn't matter; neither does the power of your computer when it comes to the finished product - it will just take longer to compile.

This topic is 3477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.