• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
snoop101

Game dev career without knowing C++?

This topic is 3634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all Im just curious if in the development side of game production you can be in the thought process without knowing C++,sound editing, or a graphic designer? I would like to get into developing, but not sure what direction I need to go. One thing that really hinders my career is the fact im color blind :(

Advertisement
You could become a producer, although that's often more in the management side. Alternatively, you could teach yourself C++, or some graphics tools.

Quote:
Original post by snoop101
One thing that really hinders my career is the fact im color blind :(

How is that hindering your career ? Except for graphics design, it shoudn't make a difference at all in essentially all other game related sectors - programming, scripting, sound, business/management, logistics, marketing, etc.

Um, if you want to get into the development side, you really should learn know how to program (not nessessarily with C++, but that's probably the best choice) because that's what develops it. [grin]

There are other parts of development, like writing, graphic design (before it is programmed), and music. What part of game development are you interested in?

Im assuming the production team is broken into specific groups. Im looking for more of the idea and flow of the specific game. Im not to sure on what I should learn to advance. Seems like everywhere I look they want a C++ background.

If game design is what you're leaning towards, you definately should learn how to program. To be able to design a game, you need to know how to implement your ideas. In some smaller game companies, the designer is also the lead programmer.

So in a nutshell, first step is to understand c++. From there learn the project managment side of things and pull them together. Correct?

In a general sense, yes, a knowledge of C/++ or other popular languages is a 'want' by many companies looking for team members, although it's not to say that you have to know it to end up working in such a fashion.

FlyingIsFun1217

It is not necessarily to know C++. But it is necessary to know how to program. Learn a language were it is easier to prototype your ideas. You can do that also in C++ but then you also must mess around many difficulties.

Python comes to mind. But if you want a C like language then choose C# or Java.

If you want to be a developer, you must be capable of creating something. Whether that's art, or programming, or level-design, or sound composing, it's up to you what you want.

Hey, why don't you pick up a game-maker tool or a level-editor or something like that? Build a few small games or levels to get a feeling for what game-development really is. That may give you a better perspective.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!