3D Math Primer is it for me?

Started by
9 comments, last by Kwizatz 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, currently I am in precal in college, havent took trig yet or linear algebra. I am actually very interested in the math behind games and I havent take any algorithm clases either, should i read this or wait till I have more math classes and an algorithm class? Basically I don't want to buy another book that I am not at the level yet to be able to comprehend it. Additionally, its about 3D, but in honesty I dont care if this was 2D or 3D I find it running before walking if I dont understand 2D Math, does this make sense? Thanks.
Advertisement
Wait just a second... you're in pre-calculus, and you haven't taken linear algebra?

I'm kinda getting the idea there's a specific book you're talking about. It would be nice if you told us what it is. If that's it's title in the post title, you might want to explicitly say so.

And not to put too fine a point on it, a couple more line returns, strategically placed, would be nice.
I have the book, but I have had those classes you're talking about. Understanding basic matrix math would be nice, and I know we learned it around pre-calc and hit it hard in linear but honestly its easy enough you can figure it out by reading an appendix from a math book that covers it.

To be honest it completely depends on your goals for the book. If you just want to use the book as a reference to do all the math for you and you can get to things that interest you more, then it might be a good idea. If you actually want to learn 3D math you can probably read through the book a lot but will definately struggle depending on how well you pick it up.

So in summary, for reference only, yes
for learning, I'd wait
Quote:Original post by theOcelot
Wait just a second... you're in pre-calculus, and you haven't taken linear algebra?

Yes, in college it is typical to take 3 classes of cal. before taking linear algebra which shouldn't be confused with regular algebra. In my experience pre-cal usually covers trig. or expects you to know it already.
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
Quote:Original post by theOcelot

Yes, in college it is typical to take 3 classes of cal. before taking linear algebra which shouldn't be confused with regular algebra. In my experience pre-cal usually covers trig. or expects you to know it already.

Now I'm really confused. I realize this is showing my ignorance, but what exactly is linear algebra if not solving linear equations? I learned matrices right after linear functions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra

I'd read the elementry introduction section

Honestly though, I'm not a math guy and I just finished the class and couldn't tell you concisely what linear algebra is and how to use it. I just took from it the stuff I knew I would need from the math I've seen and used for programming and it cleared some things up but left me with a billion more questions.
Quote:Original post by Dwiff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra

I'd read the elementry introduction section

Honestly though, I'm not a math guy and I just finished the class and couldn't tell you concisely what linear algebra is and how to use it. I just took from it the stuff I knew I would need from the math I've seen and used for programming and it cleared some things up but left me with a billion more questions.

Ah, vectors. It's all so clear now. Thanks!
The thing is I didn't mention it in the first post, but I have read a few c++ books, but at the current time I seem to be more interested in the math theories behind the game, like I read a few pages of 3d math primer online about matrixes which was pretty interesting, especially because it showed it through the example of a matrix table rather than like my old c++ for dummies windows game programming book says "here is source code now figure it out", but i think the most important part is being able to think about how to solve the problem rather than to just know what certain keywords mean. Does this make any sense?

p.s. - my c++ isnt exactly that good...
It is a great book for getting the Maths under your belt. If I can (just about) get to grips with it, I'm sure you can. Plus it gives some helpful C++ classes and contains most of the information you need in one place. I'd recommend it personally.
If you read the sample chapter from here, you'll see just how good it is.

BTW, the book only assumes knowledge of highschool level math. I read it before taking any math classes in college and I had no problem with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement