• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
adshead999

[java] The comeback of Java applets?

This topic is 3779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Having done a little J2ME development in the past I thought I'd catch up on the Java scene to see whats new. I'm looking to build a casual game that will run in the browser and the only reasonable choices I see are Flash or Java applets. Applets seem to have died a death in recent years but with the coming java update it seems there is a push to promote java applets again. Also would I be right in thinking that hardware acceleration will be much easier to do within an applet with the coming JavaFX technology? Also I wondered what peoples experiences are with getting applets accepted by commercial game portals?

Advertisement
LWJGL has been adding support for applets recently: LWJGL applet test. It's still got some bugs to iron out with some browsers, but it means you can do full speed (and full screen) openGL directly in an applet which is really cool. [grin]

Yes I had heard about lwjgl, but if it's still buggy I thought it was unlikely to be an acceptable technology for game portals. I was hoping a more "official" support for hardware acceleration using javafx might be more promising - but its still not clear to me whether javafx is actually going to support this or not

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!