Delegates .NET only?

Started by
13 comments, last by pismakron 15 years, 9 months ago
Another reason i use C++ is for platform independence (which i know C# has C# Mono, but it dosnt have everything yet). I honestly think the language someone uses should be completely up to them (as how they like to write, and what they like to handle themselves), thats why i usually dont try to convert people to the language of my profitability.

That said though, thanks for the replies, as they have helped me alot.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GanonPhantom
Another reason i use C++ is for platform independence (which i know C# has C# Mono, but it dosnt have everything yet).

If I consider the small number of projects that are actually completed, let alone ported to another platform, I find "platform independence" one of the most overrated features of C++. If I have to choose between a program that runs smoothly but exclusively on Windows and a project that is portable in theory but unfinished and/or buggy, my choice is clear :-) It's probably easier to make a C# program portable than it is to build all cool C#/.NET features into C++.
Andre Loker | Personal blog on .NET
Quote:Original post by GanonPhantom
I honestly think the language someone uses should be completely up to them (as how they like to write, and what they like to handle themselves), thats why i usually dont try to convert people to the language of my profitability.

If you want a completely cross-platform language that supports delegates, use Objective Caml [wink]

I can understand that you don't like being told what language to use. But the easiest way to shut people up is to explain that you don't want to use that language, for reasons outside the realm of intrinsic language properties.

If you start explaining that you wish to use a language instead of another for practical reasons X or Y related to the language, you will find people more experienced than you with both languages which will just tear down your arguments. In this particular situation, your hand-made C++ implementation of delegates will be slower than the compiler-supported C# delegates (and besides, C# is and has always been faster than C++ when using C# idioms, as you seem to be doing), and most of the missing parts in Mono are related to the less-used parts of .NET, which often have no portable C++ equivalent.

Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
I can understand that you don't like being told what language to use. But the easiest way to shut people up is to explain that you don't want to use that language, for reasons outside the realm of intrinsic language properties.

If you start explaining that you wish to use a language instead of another for practical reasons X or Y related to the language, you will find people more experienced than you with both languages which will just tear down your arguments. In this particular situation, your hand-made C++ implementation of delegates will be slower than the compiler-supported C# delegates (and besides, C# is and has always been faster than C++ when using C# idioms, as you seem to be doing), and most of the missing parts in Mono are related to the less-used parts of .NET, which often have no portable C++ equivalent.

That was extremely well said. Rate++ for you good sir. In fact, that should go in an FAQ or Wiki entry somewhere.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Use boost::signals like everyone else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement