what to do after learning the fundamentals of C++

Started by
9 comments, last by churroe 15 years, 9 months ago
I feel pretty comfortable with classes and arrays and all that c++ stuff I've been practicing with them over a year now I'm pretty sure learning the how to make windows and the windows API is next but correct me if im wrong I just dont know where to look for information or for help Anyone help?
Advertisement
It depends on what you want to do. I'm guessing you want to make games. If so, find yourself a Graphics API, and start programming.

What makes you think you want to do Windows? Not being a smart-mouth, I'm just asking?

An API is just a set of functions and/or classes that will, say, draw things on the screen, play sound, whatever. SDL will do most of what you need for a game. I would recommend it. If you want a specific project, start by making a pong clone, then break-out. They're very similar in concept, so the jump will be easy.

Beyond that, [google].

Sorry for the disjointed post.
Do you now Standard C++ Library?
Well
@ theOcelot =
well, everyone has to know how to make a window right?
i'm pretty sure i dont want to make all my programs in console
xD
Google is my bible so no worries about that
i just dont know What to google
and you guess correct btw, i do want to make games.
Could you give me a bit more info on SDL?
If i dont go the SDL way, will DX work?

@rozz666
Yeah i've learned it
Just google what you feel like learning: how to make a window, SDL, DirectX, etc.

If you go the SDL way, Lazy Foo's tutorials are good. If you don't, you could use DirectX, but only if you know how to make a window. :)
haha
its not ALL about making a window
i do google what i want to know
hmmm
what did you guys learn after the c++ fundamentals?
that might be a better question
should i just learn directx right away?
I've always been a very fast learner and learn my looking through other code, so I jumped straight into C++ with only a tiny bit of java knowledge and I am making a 3D OpenGL game engine using SDL and lua which is a functioning game engine now with a custom GUI and other features. I say just go straight into it and as you run into problems, google for help or post here if you really need to. Do whatever feels best for you though, this is just what I did and it works for me.
I learned how to make a window and learned the basics of OpenGL. But I also recommend SDL because you don't have to worry too much about the details of programming for a certain operating system, and you'll at least get the fundamentals of graphics programming.

I don't know much about DirectX, but if you want, you could probably start off doing that, too.
Quote:Original post by churroe
haha
its not ALL about making a window
i do google what i want to know
hmmm
what did you guys learn after the c++ fundamentals?
that might be a better question
should i just learn directx right away?

The point is, we learned whatever the heck we felt like. Seriously.

About SDL: SDL actually handles window-making for you. It stands for "Simple DirectMedia Layer", and it is simple. I don't want to go into a full list of features, since you can find that in the link I posted. It really is easy to use.

I personally find DX to be a little annoying, and dropped it once I found out about SDL (I never use all the advanced features of DX). But then, other people have said that the DX API is very well designed. Look at some tutorials, and see which one you like the look of better.

There's no set path you have to or should follow. Reading these forums will help expand your horizons, and give you things to Google [grin].
alright then
im convinced
i'm going to try out SDL
and i think i will just jump into directx
i'm a pretty quick learner too so if i have any questions
ill just post them on here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement