• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

rts minimap question

This topic is 3511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I get the position of units and scale it down to the minimap to render. Wich is faster if I try to render pixels to the minimap as the units? - Render many drawcalls (for every unit one drawcall) - Modify an bitmap realtime to modify the new position then render the final bitmap

Advertisement
Depends on what your using. If its your own library that you created from scratch, than pixels will be faster, if your using something like D3DX, than Bitmaps could be faster.

What about "I do one way, and if I can prove that this way is too slow after I profiled my game, then I'll try to optimize it" ?

Of course, you'd better try something that have a chance to be correct the first time. So avoid anything based on multiple draw calls. Since you're not doing much, they're going to stall and you're going to wait for the GPU.

I'd build a small bitmap of the terrain, and then I'd add the fog of war + the visible units directly on this bitmap before I'd render it. This bitmap is supposed to be quite small, so you don't have to worry much. Per frame, that's one copy + one run through; on a 320*200 image, this shouldn't be noticeable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement