• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aku_bedul

[.net] how to create .exe file?

This topic is 3694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello guys... I've created an C# application for autorun for CD/DVD. I burn the .exe file into that CD and using the .inf file to make it autorun the .exe file when insert the CD/DVD. But my problem is, the .exe file cannot be run in other PC if the PC didn't have .NET.. I want the .exe file can be run in any PC that did not have any .NET installed in it..Maybe the .exe file already have the .NET library in it so any PC can run the .exe file without install the .NET... is it possible to do that? or it is possible to make the .exe file already with .NET reference or library in it? anyone that know how to solve it..please reply..

Advertisement
You must ship an installer that will install the .NET runtime required for your application.

Sorry, .NET Assemblies contain IL code which needs to be compiled at run-time. (by the Microsoft .NET Framework, Mono, etc)

Some research has been done around creating a native C# compiler (see Microsoft Research's Bartok Compiler project), but that certianly wouldn't translate your System.Windows.Froms references to WIN32 equivelants...

You could compile Mono and put it on the CD. In theory, you then wouldn't have to install anything but could simply use the mono.exe to run your .NET Application.

The best solution for not requireing .NET to be installed is... don't use .NET; use a native language.

Quote:
Original post by Brice Lambson
Sorry, .NET Assemblies contain IL code which needs to be compiled at run-time. (by the Microsoft .NET Framework, Mono, etc)

I think that ngen will generate native code and you can use that, though it will be native code for your computer specs, and releasing that would be a pretty dumb idea and ruin any advantage of the JIT.

Either way, if you don't like the idea that people have to have the .NET framework, and you don't want them to install it if they don't have it, then like mentioned, the best option is just to not use .NET. You can bundle it with either an online .NET installer, which will download it if needed and adds little overhead to your installer, or an offline .NET installer which just contains everything it needs.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!