• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hernan13

Paddock Master

This topic is 3741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After asking for some help here on a previous version, downloads went from 6 to 21... i thought id give it another shot. Basically its a simple RPG, and its my first attempt at programming anything real. Its coming along fairly quickly, and imo is pretty good for a first project. (about a month ago it was moving around in a small array...not its... moving around in a larger array... but theres other things to do in it.) If you want to see the source code, just ask, but even by my standards its pretty messy. Any creative input is much appreciated. http://www.harrysite.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=206

Advertisement
New version is out, as well as the first publically available mod - Night of the Living Paddock! (a zombie mod)

Hey. Cool game. I love ascii rpgs like this.. and your Paddock Master logo/artwork is awesome!

I've got 0.1.8 and I noticed in your documentation it says that if you type anything other than letters on the inventory then it dies? That's pretty simple to fix.

Also, there are ways to get input without requiring a return after each character.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah im sure a lot of things in it are easy to fix or add, but thats sort of the point, it's my first project and im learning as i go (i havn't even finished going through C++ how to program yet). That being said, im pretty happy with how its turned out and how its progressing. I'd appreciate any tips for the actual programming of it.
I can't take credit for the artwork, kudos for that goes to Harry.
For the input without needing to press return, im starting to look into that (using the windows API) but itll probably be a few versions before ive learned it.
Id like to know how to stop the craziness when inputting anything but a number in the inventory, a few people have complained about that, and all i can do at the moment is say "only type a number"

Quote:
Original post by Hernan13
Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah im sure a lot of things in it are easy to fix or add, but thats sort of the point, it's my first project and im learning as i go (i havn't even finished going through C++ how to program yet). That being said, im pretty happy with how its turned out and how its progressing. I'd appreciate any tips for the actual programming of it.
I can't take credit for the artwork, kudos for that goes to Harry.
For the input without needing to press return, im starting to look into that (using the windows API) but itll probably be a few versions before ive learned it.
Id like to know how to stop the craziness when inputting anything but a number in the inventory, a few people have complained about that, and all i can do at the moment is say "only type a number"

Oh ok. Didn't know it was your first project! That's a great effort hey. Are you following it from a book?

You can use _getch (getch is deprecated) to read one character from the console, but from reading this, it seems it is compiler-specific and therefore non-portable... but that doesn't really matter if your target audience use Windows.

I've found this to be a very helpful article on console input.

not specifically following from a book, just reading about things and seeing how they could be implemented in it.
It started off just as an array you could move around in and it evolved from there.
Well the program is already windows only because i use windows.h to change the colour of the output.
Thanks for that link, its all fixed up and itll be in the next version.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!