• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Create a custom video player with jpeg images

This topic is 3575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, i'm exposing my question. I'm going to realize a video player application, that loads a sequence of images (jpg or tga format) as frame at 25 fps (each one at 0.04 second). I have a folder as a repository with a lot of images (from 15000 to 30000. All the images have the same name with a number at the end of the name : image_K). To keep high frame rate, i need to have all images in memory, and switch from an image to the following one in very short time without loading them from disk. But, problem is that i can't load all images in memory : i have a limit with 400 images (jpg or tga). I can't realize two or more buffer, becouse the visualizer thread is two time faster than loader one. Where i can find some articles, theory or tutorial about this issue? Thanx.

Advertisement
Is there any reason that you have to use an image format (JPEG/TGA) instead of a proper video format (MPEG, Bink, etc)?

Yes,
becouse i need to control each frame, in order to create a video player for non standard video format : i.e. a video player on two or more monitor controlled by two or more workstation.

What do you mean by "control each frame"?

If you use a video codec, then it can decode each frame into an array of pixel data for you (just as if you have loaded a JPEG). You can then display that pixel data however you want.
The only real difference is that it is much faster to get the next frame of an MPEG than to load an entire JPEG image, because it is delta-compressed.

At work, I'm currently writing a video player using Bink that plays two videos on two monitors at once. This system is supposed to replace our old video player that did the same thing using MPEG-2.
The Bink player is really nice, because it even streams the data from the disc for me. It is kind of expensive though.

Well,
my images sequence are a 3D rendering result.
I would like to control each frame to synchronize the visualized frame on each screen. So, if i can control the visualization of each frame, i can say to each workstation to visualize (in synchronize way) the same frame number, and avoid that different workstation play the sequence in unsinchronized mode.
If i use codec or avi, mov, mpeg video format, i can go step by step on single frame of my video?
Sorry, but i have no experience about!

If you want to display the results of real time rendering on many machines in a synchronized way why don't you just send the frame across the network? You can use a fast compression method to reduce the amount of data sent across the network if that becomes a problem. All you need is a basic client on the other workstations that receives an image and displays it. Include some time info in the transmission and you can use it to synchronize.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement