Sign in to follow this  

const or #define in classes

This topic is 3478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using C++ and so far i have just used #define's for constant data. While it's not following the true spirit of C++, i have had no problem with it... until now. The issue is that i want to put it inside a class and use it as: SomeClass::CONST_VAR, instead of SOMECLASS_CONST_VAR. But can i initialise const data when it's declared in the class. i.e.
class SomeClass {
public:
    static const int CONST_VAR = 20;
}

Or do i have to have separate definition & declaration?
// SomeClass.h
class SomeClass {
public:
    static const int CONST_VAR = 20;
}

// SomeClass.cpp
int SomeClass::CONST_VAR = 20;  // Something like that (?)

Sorry if this is a rather dumb question but i though it would make more sense to me if someone explained it rather than me search for an answer on google.

IIRC if it's an integral value you can define and declare in the same place (ie. in the class definition). Otherwise, you need to provide a single separate definition.

Ah, i just found how to use "compile-time constants", i.e static const variables. It seems i can declare it like static const int CONST_VAR = 20;.
thanks anyway.

EDIT: ok, i see what you mean about "integral" values (i assume that means integer). The compiler says "only static const integral data members can be initialized within a class" when i try to use a float. That kinda sucks 'cos some of the constant data i use are floats.

Quote:
Original post by XTAL256
EDIT: ok, i see what you mean about "integral" values (i assume that means integer). The compiler says "only static const integral data members can be initialized within a class" when i try to use a float. That kinda sucks 'cos some of the constant data i use are floats.

The usual solution to this is a function which returns the value:

class math 
{
public:
static inline float pi() { return 3.141592f; }
}

Sign in to follow this