How can I make a software like(OpenGl or DirectGraphic)

Started by
5 comments, last by Goodman 15 years, 9 months ago
If I want to do this,what should I learn?
Advertisement
You should learn "Computer Graphics".

You can't make something exactly like OpenGL or Direct3D, because they use trade-secrets to interact with the graphics hardware. You'll have to settle for doing it all in software (i.e. on the CPU, not on the GPU).
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
You can't make something exactly like OpenGL or Direct3D, because they use trade-secrets to interact with the graphics hardware. You'll have to settle for doing it all in software (i.e. on the CPU, not on the GPU).

That's not true.

Yeah, writing *another* OpenGL implementation is a massive task and a pretty NIH-y one at that. But if you're curious, feel free to join the DRI developers in our fun :)

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Quote:Original post by Prefect
That's not true.
Quote:The most important use for the DRI is to create fast OpenGL implementations providing hardware acceleration for Mesa. Several 3D accelerated drivers have been written to the DRI specification, including drivers for chipsets produced by 3DFX, AMD (formerly ATI), Intel and Matrox.
------
This is the homepage of nouveau, a project which aims at producing Open Source 3D drivers for nVidia cards.
Wow; I thought Mesa was just a software GL implementation, nice to see it has hardware drivers now :D
I think if you aim is to make a 3D Rasterization Suite you should learn Software Rendering before you even touch 3D Harware. Andre' LaMothe's book Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus is probably the best resource on Software Rendering for the fledgling Graphics Programmer, and no Andre' does not pay me to plug his book as often as I do. :D

You can buy it from Amazon.com from a private seller and Andre' will not make a buck if that makes you happy, but Andre's a good guy so he won't mind too much.
Tricks3D

Teaches you a lot of great things from Lighting, Texture Mapping, Z-Buffer, BSP, Portal, Octree, Quadtree, other Scenegraph stuff, and just a lot of great Software Rendering stuff and at the end you'll have a great 3D Rendering Engine.
The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.
Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
by Foley, van Dam, Feiner, and Hughes

Anything and everything related to computer graphics.
Thanks!Yes,I want to interact with the graphics hardware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement