• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Plethora

"Faking" an axis of rotation in 2d?

This topic is 3634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a turn based strategy game which uses an iso map. Because of terrain elevation and the like I've implemented multiple map angles and it all works fine (think older simcity games, where you could change the angle you view from). As it stands, when I click the button to change the view, it just "jumps" from the first view to the second. Now, I have seen 2d games with similar setups where changing the view resulted in the map actually appearing to "spin" to the next view and I am just wondering if anyone knows (or has a thought) how this is accomplished. I mean I could obviously brute force it by moving each sprite and shape individually along the desired circular path. Maybe that is just the way to do it (in which case, I won't bother, lol)?

Advertisement
Starcraft way:
Your sprites are renders from 3d studio max (Or other software of your choice) and you simply render it in 16 different angles. 16 is enough in starcraft to create almost smooth rotations.

And what they do also, they render only 8 of them (9 because top and bottom are different) and just flip in X for the other 8 on the other side.

Sorry, I can't remember back to the older Sim City games. Are your sprites GTA 2 style, where its actually top-down and rotating them has no visual problem? Or are they "top-down" like just about every 2d RPG to exist, where you're actually viewing characters at an angle so you can see their front/back/side? If the first, it is simply a matter of setting up your camera. If the latter, you may want to do what Daivuk mentioned. Ragnarok Online does this if I remember right. The terrain is 3d and the rotation of it is 1:1 with the camera. That is to say, if you rotate the camera 5.71 degrees, so does the terrain. The characters, though, are sprites with a limited number of frames, and just the closest sprite direction is chosen.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!