• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jedimace

GameMaker 7

This topic is 3800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, Game Maker 7 came out some time ago, and I never really looked at it, since I pretty much ignored GM7 after it came out because I was busy learning Flash. But one of my friends still uses GM and I decided to get it. I looked at some of the new features, and realized GM had the possibility to load in content from external files. That made me think that GM might actually have a chance at doing some nice stuff, since I don't have to store all of my data in a .exe file. Then I was looking at the extensions, and apparently you can extend GM with C++. That made me want to pretty much make my version of GM rock. I decided with this new function, GM7 can do some awesome stuff. So I like it again. Anyone think it could have a chance? I mean, they are rewriting GM so in version 8 it will be written in C++(it wasn't before, it was just obvious because it was so slow), so it will be very fast, and with the extensions, I bet I could get GM running blazing fast. Maybe they will try to make it multi platform soon(it uses Direct X for 3D functions, and it only creates .exe files). So, anyone think it will rock soon(I do!)?

Advertisement
Game maker has always been a pretty good option, and it's a shame that you've taken till now to recognise it. Game Maker has always been more capable than the average person gives it credit for, and if you've able to work with it well you'll be able to produce excellent results in a fraction of the time of someone working from scratch. If you think you'll be able to work with it you should definately give it a go. I know of at least one commercially succesful indie game created using Game Maker.

Note: This post edited from a somewhat less encouraging drunken version.

Ok, well then I should try it more, and test it's capabilities. I think the problem lies in speed, and if the 3D was faster, I would use it ALOT more. I hope they work on that. Maybe I should work on making Game Maker a better program, and the communities a better place, alot of the people in those forums are kind of weird. I want to work on this, because GM is a great start for a great program. If they make it multi platform, that program will go far.

Quote:
Original post by Jedimace
Ok, well then I should try it more, and test it's capabilities. I think the problem lies in speed, and if the 3D was faster, I would use it ALOT more. I hope they work on that. Maybe I should work on making Game Maker a better program, and the communities a better place, alot of the people in those forums are kind of weird. I want to work on this, because GM is a great start for a great program. If they make it multi platform, that program will go far.

Be aware: Game Maker 7's 3D is VERY limited, but there is a DLL you can use called Ultimate3D. You should check it out.
http://ultimate3d.org/

It's limited because it's supposed to be simple. That's kinda the point of Game Maker. To allow beginners to write games, not advanced programmers. If you want more power than Game Maker can deliver, use something more powerful then. Often (though not always) with power comes complexity though. But if Game Maker has everything you want, then what are you waiting for... get to work and make a game! :D

As for me, I don't know if it will "rock" soon. I hope so though. The world's just a better place when better software is created.

Well, from what I've seen from Game Maker, it has enough flexibility for anythihg I want. The problem is is it fast enough? That's what I want fixed in GM8. Also, multi platform would be nice too.

Quote:
Original post by ed209
You still can't use masks.

What do you mean? Also, Ultimate 3D approved. I think GM7 can handle what I am trying to do with ease. Expecially when GM8 comes out written in C++.

Ah yes, if you're after 3d you may want to look into other options - by all means see if you can do what you want using GM, but 3d isn't really what it was intended for and therefore isn't a strong area of the tool.

Well, I looked into U3D, and seeing as how it can handle a game and all of it's logic at 30 FPS, it will do good enough for me. Especially when GM8 comes out in C++ and is multiplatform. You have to extend GM to get good 3D. = )

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!