• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sbroumley

Anyone know of a good open source audio file conversion library?

This topic is 3693 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of a good "free" PC audio conversion library/SDK. I'm basically looking to be able to load a number of different file formats (mp3, aiff etc), and be able to convert them to the .wav format. I don't really need to have the source code (a compiled lib + dll will work just fine). The audio equivalent of the DEVIL image library would be perfect. thanks -Steve.

Advertisement
libsndfile?

http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

It doesn't do ogg though. doing ogg to pcm is not too bad with libvorbis though.

Edit: Oh, it doesn't do mp3 either, for patent reasons. I forgot about that.

-- steve

audacity does a pretty decent job for conversion and is a great sound editor as well

http://audacity.sf.net

thanks for the replies guys (+'ve ratings applied)

Googling around, I did find a direct-show example that looks like it can convert audio formats. Only problem with it is I have to download it via the latest windows SDK which sounds like a right kerfuffle.

Anyone have experience with direct-show audio programming (with Visual Studio 2005)? Can it do the job of easily converting any format to .wav pcm format?

cheers,
-Steve

thanks for the replies guys (+'ve ratings applied)

Googling around, I did find a direct-show example that looks like it can convert audio formats. Only problem with it is I have to download it via the latest windows SDK which sounds like a right kerfuffle.

Anyone have experience with direct-show audio programming (with Visual Studio 2005)? Can it do the job of easily converting any format to .wav pcm format?

cheers,
-Steve

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!