• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NoArms

Reusable Code Libraries

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Coding in Linux using C++ with Eclipse IDE. I am starting a first project in this environment and am not so familiar with the c++ project management philosophies. In particular, I can see the usefulness of one or more utility libraries. For example, a procedure using SDL_image to load and optimize an image that one might use in many projects. My first thought was to put these in a static library and link future projects to that. However, the options to link to the SDL libraries goes away when selecting this type of project in eclipse. So is the alternative to just leave such utilities as source code in a common include folder? Any good resources for project organization that could help with problems like this? Thanks. na

Advertisement
Well a static library isn't much more than a fancy archive for your object files, so no linking goes on, thats why you cannot link against the SDL libraries. It is not a problem though, just write the functions like your normally would and when you compile the executable link against SDL like normal.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!