Saddest video game achievements

Started by
47 comments, last by Xeile 15 years, 9 months ago
This thread has made Kotaku. That's the AU link, so some people may get a 404, not sure though.

It's interesting to read some of their comments.
Advertisement
Wow, I guess that's another achievement for me, although not so game related.

EDIT: Never mind, they just linked to this page, not the whole thread. I still suck. Whew...

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

The only game I really geeked out on was FFVII. Here are some of my accomplishments:

Getting 50+ 1/35th soldiers. I figured if you got over 35 of them, you would get a Soldier as a character. You get them as a prize at Speed Square about 1/10th of the time. So yes, I played that stupid game in speed square over 500 times. That was about 10 years ago. Here's the scary thing: For old time's sake, I played the game again a couple years ago. When I played Speed Square, I still knew the EXACT location and time that every enemy popped out at. It is permanently burned into my brain.

Breeding a perfect chocobo. I don't mean just a gold chocobo, I mean a perfect-stat chocobo. I wanted to beat that damn black chocobo rider, but even when I maxed out my stats his were still higher.

Defeating Ruby and Emerald Weapon. I actually didn't know about the airetam thing with Emerald Weapon when I beat him, which made my victory all the more glorious when I learned about it.

Getting a perfect-stat character. Not easy.

Mastering a materia. Again, not easy.
Straudos, you miss the point. This is about game achievements (or, moments in games) that made you, the player, feel sad.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Got another one. The end of Call of Duty 4. Spoiler below.

<spoiler>
Having the dying Cpt's pistol thrown over to me to end it. Then looking back to only to find a medic is failing at resuscitating him. I actually felt genuine respect for that guy. Mainly because he always put his life on the line to get the job done, but also because he had the maddest moustache I've ever seen.
</spoiler>
Bioshock-Andrew Ryan.
I teared up.
Quote:Oh, these are supposed to be sad achievements, not pathetic ones.
Ah, I must have missed this post.

To be fair, after playing Speed Square 500ish times and NOT getting a Soldier, I was pretty sad.
Never done it but heard about it:

Desert Bus

In the never-released Penn and Teller game there was a mini-game to drive 8 hours (in real-time, actually taking 8 hours) and upon reaching the end you scored a single point. The road was curved so you couldn't tape down the controller to go and do something else. If you crashed anytime during the drive, you were towed back to the start, also in real time. After finishing the 8 hours, you would be asked if you wanted to drive back for another point, if you didn't the game would end.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Yeah Creatures brought up some memories that were on the boundry of incredibly sad (or super frustrating).

My prime example would be Drakan: Order of the Flame. That game was an action adventure where you go after you littl' brother who has been kidnapped by some monsters. That game was incredible hard for me (at that age :))! Put countless hours in it just to defeat it on normal mode... just to find out all in the end you can't save your brother from his eternal doom :S.

I might have popped a tear or two there!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement