• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
losethos

Operating System for Games

This topic is 3631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you're interested in programming amateur games, you might investigate the operating system, LoseThos. It's free, 64-bit and open source, intended specifically for amateur games. The only thing wrong with it is crappy graphics resolution. On the bright-side, though, who has time to twiddle pixels. It's for programmers, not artists. The low resultion also puts a lot less demand on the CPU and amateurs need all the help they can get. Some people won't admit they're amateurs... oh well. http://www.losethos.com There's a video you might want to watch.

Advertisement
This is actually pretty cool, though I doubt I'll have the time to play with it. Interesting concept and "sales pitch" on the front page.

Lol, I love your up-front blunt descriptions.

This one takes the cake:
Quote:
No GPL or any other person's code in LoseThos. GPL "freedom" is like the book 1984's
double talk. If it's free, why does it have a license! LoseThos is public domain, so make all
the money you can from it, fork it, or raid it for ideas if you wish.

Quote:
video on the site
...but there's macros that you put on icons that... uh... uh... automate stuff.

I'm sold!

Did you try it? How did it work? I need feedback on how compatible it is. It must be a 64-bit CPU, obviously. I'm not sure about AMD's and would like to know. To mount a drive, you must enter I/O port addresses which you can get from system information on your primary operating system. The live CD mode should work, though. Please help with feedback.

The website video or operating system video? The operating system uses 640x480 VGA which I thought was pretty standard. I'm not so got at website stuff--I'm old school. I use a Yahoo sitebuilder package and I use Windows Movie Maker. I make a .wmv file from BMP screenshots I make in LoseThos. When I watch more than one video with IE7, it hangs and I have to close IE, and start it again. Anybody know a good movie software that you can feed BMP files? What's the most compatible video format for the web?

Quote:
Original post by losethos
The website video or operating system video? The operating system uses 640x480 VGA which I thought was pretty standard. I'm not so got at website stuff--I'm old school. I use a Yahoo sitebuilder package and I use Windows Movie Maker. I make a .wmv file from BMP screenshots I make in LoseThos. When I watch more than one video with IE7, it hangs and I have to close IE, and start it again. Anybody know a good movie software that you can feed BMP files? What's the most compatible video format for the web?

.avi, .qt, .mpeg are some popular ones.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!