Where Do I Start?

Started by
17 comments, last by metalmidget 15 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone names Kevin here. I'm going to make this as short as possible to get what I need fast. I finally decided to drop game programming for design. But have no idea where to start... I really want to get into 2D and 3D design for Levels/Characters/Worlds... I want to learn it all in the design world which I know is a lot but maybe you all can point me in the right direction to start... I don't want to start with mods for games like UT3 and HL2. I have Photoshop CS3 so if you all can also tell me other tools I should use please let me know. Also tutorials to get me started on those tools would help very much. I was thinking about getting a copy of 3D Studio Max if anyone could tell me that it's the best to go with. Thanks everyone and I will be here for responses all night!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by xHaVoK87
I finally decided to drop game programming for design.
I really want to get into 2D and 3D design for Levels/Characters/Worlds... I have Photoshop CS3 ... I was thinking about getting a copy of 3D Studio Max...
I don't think design is the word you're looking for. The main tool of a game designer is Microsoft Office ;P
A game artist on the other hand would use Photoshop and 3DS Max.

Max is fairly standard, but you might want to check out Maya (or Blender if you want a free alternative). Max and Maya are pretty comparable to each other, usually it's just personal preference that decides which one a company will use. Some companies even use both.

ZBrush/Mudbox seems to be another of these dualities, they're both similar so it's usually just personal preference that decides which one someone chooses.
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
I finally decided to drop game programming for design.
I really want to get into 2D and 3D design for Levels/Characters/Worlds... I have Photoshop CS3 ... I was thinking about getting a copy of 3D Studio Max...
I don't think design is the word you're looking for. The main tool of a game designer is Microsoft Office ;P
A game artist on the other hand would use Photoshop and 3DS Max.

Max is fairly standard, but you might want to check out Maya (or Blender if you want a free alternative). Max and Maya are pretty comparable to each other, usually it's just personal preference that decides which one a company will use. Some companies even use both.

ZBrush/Mudbox seems to be another of these dualities, they're both similar so it's usually just personal preference that decides which one someone chooses.

Haha sorry about that. Thank you for the reply and fast one at that. Ok well yeah I want to become a Game Artist. I will stick with Photoshop and 3D Studio Max but what is the difference between 3DSM and Maya? Also where is a good place to start to learn how to use Photoshop and some Termanologies (which I think I spelt wrong!) for artists. Like for example what is a "Pixle" etc... (Which I do know what it is LOL). Also what are some other good tools to use besides Photoshop when creating art? Like what are those tools developers use that they write on and it transfers to their computer actually drawing the art? Thank you for answering all these questions for me!
yeah I want to become a Game Artist. ... what is a "Pixle"

How old are you? If you're still in school, start taking some art classes. Your teachers can explain what pixels are (and you can look the word up now that you know how it's spelled).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
yeah I want to become a Game Artist. ... what is a "Pixle"

How old are you? If you're still in school, start taking some art classes. Your teachers can explain what pixels are (and you can look the word up now that you know how it's spelled).

I'm actually 20 years of age and if you seen how terrible my Keyboard is you would pretty much go crazy! I type fast to so I do make mistakes. I knew how to spell "Pixel", just didn't key on time. Well anyways back on subject. Have any more useful tips Mr. Sloper?
I would suggest that you get yourself a copy of Blender to start with, seeing as it's free, rather than spending good money on something like 3DS Max or Maya. I say this just in case you use it for a few weeks and realise it's not as much fun as you thought it would be. With blender you've really got nothing to lose. I wouldn't know because I haven't used anything other than Blender, but I've read before that Blender is generally considered to have a fairly steep learning curve, but you can't go wrong with some of the excellent tutorials on youtube. I seem to remember a lengthy series of tutorials by a guy called super3boy being really good. Simple enough that you'll understand it, but moving along quickly enough that you don't get bored or frustrated.

cheers,
metal

EDIT: for finding tutorials on ANYTHING you can't go wrong with a google search for 'beginners tutorial <insert subject here>'. Without the quotes that is.
That should cover everything from learning a programming language to learning how to... well yeah pretty much anything really.
what is the difference between 3DSM and Maya?
I'll leave that up to someone else to answer ;) in the meantime there's google
Quote:Also where is a good place to start to learn how to use Photoshop and some Termanologies (which I think I spelt wrong!) for artists.

The photoshop Help menu and Photoshop online are a good place to start ;)
3DS max also comes with lots of tutorials.
Quote:what are those tools developers artists use that they write on and it transfers to their computer actually drawing the art?
That's a graphics tablet, or these days you can even get a tablet PC.
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
what is the difference between 3DSM and Maya?
I'll leave that up to someone else to answer ;) in the meantime there's google
Quote:Also where is a good place to start to learn how to use Photoshop and some Termanologies (which I think I spelt wrong!) for artists.

The photoshop Help menu and Photoshop online are a good place to start ;)
3DS max also comes with lots of tutorials.
Quote:what are those tools developers artists use that they write on and it transfers to their computer actually drawing the art?
That's a graphics tablet, or these days you can even get a tablet PC.

Ahhh thank you so much. I will take a look into all this you provided me. But for whoever answers the first question what would suit better for a casual/pro gamer using May or 3DSM?
Just making sure because you seem to have not acknowledged it at all, did you see my post?
If you did see it but you're just not interested in Blender... fair enough I guess, each to their own and all that :)
Quote:Original post by metalmidget
I would suggest that you get yourself a copy of Blender to start with, seeing as it's free, rather than spending good money on something like 3DS Max or Maya. I say this just in case you use it for a few weeks and realise it's not as much fun as you thought it would be. With blender you've really got nothing to lose. I wouldn't know because I haven't used anything other than Blender, but I've read before that Blender is generally considered to have a fairly steep learning curve, but you can't go wrong with some of the excellent tutorials on youtube. I seem to remember a lengthy series of tutorials by a guy called super3boy being really good. Simple enough that you'll understand it, but moving along quickly enough that you don't get bored or frustrated.

cheers,
metal

EDIT: for finding tutorials on ANYTHING you can't go wrong with a google search for 'beginners tutorial <insert subject here>'. Without the quotes that is.
That should cover everything from learning a programming language to learning how to... well yeah pretty much anything really.

Thank you so much... I didn't even know you posted sorry about that. Yeah I will check into it. But as far as getting a all-in-one program would that be best to get 3DSM? With Blender can you do Level Design? I could have sworn that was a modeling program?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement