• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Xekyn

Games in Java

This topic is 3749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was thinking of getting into making games as a hobby. Like many dream about, I wanted to make an awesome mmo in C++, with amazing graphics, design my own engine and be a millionaire overnight. But anyways, I got hit with the common sense bat. So I wanted to start out with either a java or flash game. I decided on Java, as I want to make a nice MMORPG eventually, after I get my practice in making other games. So I picked up Beginning Java Game Programming which I failed to notice was not beginning java, it was beginning game programming. Found a nice tutorial on Sun's websites, dove into the book. But can't seem to find any mention of making sprites more than just top down. Was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial, or book I could pick up. Furthermore, if anyone can recommend a C++ to Java tutorial I would be forever grateful. Java is fun but C++ was my first language and I feel out of place with the slightly different syntax. -Xekyn

Advertisement
For C++, check out the free books in my sig.

For Java, there's a free book here, but it doesn't cover the latest version. The newer version of that book is unfortunately not free.

You might also want to take a look at C# and XNA.

Finally, you should also look at the Articles section on this site, there are many tutorials there on various topics.

Quote:
can't seem to find any mention of making sprites more than just top down.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain this a bit more?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!