• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hardguy

FBO and floating point issue

This topic is 3806 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have done some testing with rendering to floating point textures using FBO and it seems like some cards only support RGB/RGBA textures. On my Radeon HD 2600 PRO it works very nicely to render to IlluminanceAlpha floating point textures and also on GeForce 8600 it seems. But when tested on GF6800 it does not and it only supports textures of format RGB/RGBA, else I get a invalid framebuffer attachment error. This is really annoying since there are many situations when I want to render to a floating point texture with only one channel. But this does not seem possible on all cards even if they are SM3.0 ones. Is there some way to get around this (without packing values in to several 8bit channels) or am I stuck with having to waste space? How is everybody else doing? PS: The GF 6800 does not allow 8bit textures that are non RGB/RGBA either. Really annoying. [Edited by - Hardguy on July 11, 2008 4:05:17 AM]

Advertisement
LUMINANCE_ALPHA16F_ARB and LUMINANCE_ALPHA32F_ARB work for that.

Can not render to them though....

Quote:
Original post by V-man
How do you create a 2 channel float texture? I would like to do it myself.

Here you go and enjoy as long as you have Nvidia hardware ;) NV30 series and above.

http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/NV/float_buffer.txt

FLOAT_RG32 ;)

Aha, so there are a specific nvidia floating point texture types? Perhaps those can be used to render to?

Have you tried this MARS_999? Or someone else?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!