• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrMakrelli

Help needed to start Open GL game design

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm new in the world of programming and have found a strong interest in designing games. I have been looking around at sites that sell books for game designers but I'm not sure what I should get. They all seem pretty useful but I don't have lots of money to just spend on books. I intend to design an online RPG/Simulation game that I would like to be open GL. If anybody knows of a book that can help me particularly in this field, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Advertisement
Maybe you should start with basic programming and learn how to make simple stuff in the programming language of your chouce.

Then move onto openGL.

Its probably not the best idea to start with 3D games straight away, start from the bottom and work up.

The book I got for starting c++ was "C++ for dummies.", but there is plenty more which will help you.

Quote:
Original post by thephil
Maybe you should start with basic programming and learn how to make simple stuff
Agreed. Get comfortable with programming and math concepts before delving into 3D games or complex projects like RPGs. Realize that RPGs are actually quite complicated and difficult to implement. 3D graphics typically require a good understanding of certain math concepts, including topics from algebra, discrete math, trigonometry, linear algebra, and calculus.

I know it doesn't sound as exciting, but creating a basic text-mode game like tic-tac-toe, blackjack, etc., is actually a very rewarding and great learning experience. If you want, look into making a simple text-based adventure game, perhaps with text-based commands and rooms to explore. It should help get you started.

If you want to learn more about OpenGL or are confident that you want to "dive in", try Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins. I thought this was a great book and a good reference. There's also a more advanced sequel.

There are also some good websites with OpenGL tutorials, like NeHe Productions.

Good luck! :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!