• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Drawing Integer values with Gdiplus::DrawString()

This topic is 3481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, ive looked everywhere and cannot figure out how you draw integer values to a window in GDI+ (or GDI). For example i need to draw the players score on the screen but to do this im going to want an integer variable for the players score and so on. but i cant find any function that will allow me to draw it to screen. I basically need a way to convert my 'real' values to 'string' values. What am i expected to do here? Thanks ~Reegan

Advertisement
std::stringstream, or sprintf if you're using plain C.

#include <sstream>

int player_score = 42;
std::stringstream str;
str << player_score;

DrawText(..., str.str().c_str(), ...);

Hmmm, that looks.. odd never seen that done before :P
in console app i get the address of 'str' when using

std::cout << str

Will it be the same using the DrawString function in GDI+?
lol 'sprintf' such a disgusting looking function, you can tell that one isnt modern.

Quote:
Original post by Reegan

str is a stringstream. Why were you expecting anything sane by outputting it?

Quote:
Will it be the same using the DrawString function in GDI+?
lol 'sprintf' such a disgusting looking function, you can tell that one isnt modern.

To be exact, sprintf does have a cleaner interface than streams. However, for meager technical limitations of the C++ type system, it's preferable to use streams. In PHP or Objective Caml, sprintf is the superior alternative because it's more concise.

Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
Quote:
Original post by Reegan

str is a stringstream. Why were you expecting anything sane by outputting it?

To connect the dots for the OP, Evil Steve's example involved more than just trying to output the value of str:
Quote:
str.str().c_str()

The first ".str( )" returns a std::string with the contents of the stringstream, which would be suitable for sending to std::cout or another stream. ".c_str( )" is called on that returned std::string, which returns a pointer to a null terminated array of elements, likely some flavor of char, which is what DrawString wants from you (I assume Evil Steve got it right, I don't have any experience with it).

So, follow the full example Evil Steve posted, and then read up on stringstreams.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement