• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What programs are you using to view memory?

This topic is 3480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At the moment im trying to make use of task mananger, using the private working set, but i keep hearing that its inaccurate. So what are you using to keep track of -When memory leaks occur -If memory is leaking -how much ram your app is using -watching memory changing as stepping through code

Advertisement
valgrind is a great tool for this - especially for finding memory leaks. I feel I have barely scratched the surface of its use though.

Are there libraries which can monitor ram usage w/o having to use a tool like valgrind?

I think Process Explorer is much better than Task Manager. Also check out Process Monitor. May not be the exact tools your looking for though but they do give alot more info than Task Manager.

Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
Are there libraries which can monitor ram usage w/o having to use a tool like valgrind?

Not of task manager type. Trivial memory leak is the most basic memory problem.

There's more sublte bugs which are considerably more difficult to track down.

In order to detect memory issues in non-managed code, you need some way to insert relevant tracking information, and that can only be done by compiler.

Quote:
I think Process Explorer is much better than Task Manager. Also check out Process Monitor. May not be the exact tools your looking for though but they do give alot more info than Task Manager.

Thanks for that, im using process explorer now, i couldn't use valgrind as im working on windows.

At the moment im looking at "private bytes", as i believe that shows the byte count my app is running with. But theres a huge list that i dont know of what they are, and cant find anything in the manual, such as

Working set size
WS private
Virtual size

Your working set is the amount of application memory that's actually stored in physical memory. The virtual size is the total amount of virtual memory being used by your app.

You can find some more info here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement