• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OmegaMB

Engine for a Beginner

This topic is 3727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just starting out in game dev, and was wondering if their is a free or cheap game engine I could start out with. I know some C++ if that helps.

Advertisement
It depends on what you want the engine to do. Here is a wide selection of game engines that you can use:

http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Game_Engines

What do you think an engine is?

Why do you think you need one?

What do you think it means to "know some C++"? (Try looking up some "practice problems" on the web or searching older threads here for some.)

Quote:
Original post by OmegaMB
I'm just starting out in game dev, and was wondering if their is a free or cheap game engine I could start out with. I know some C++ if that helps.

I'm sorry, but "just starting out" likely means you're not even close to being ready to using an engine. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but chances are you'll want to know more than "some" C++. How much is "some"? What C++ do you currently know and are you completely proficient in what you do currently know? Don't expect to download an engine and be able to build Doom 4 overnight.

I would do as Zahlman says and check out some practice problems. They'll test the skills you already have as well as building new ones. You may find starting out with text-based console games is a better option at this point, sure it's not as exciting as photo-realistic 3D graphics and epic battles but it's a very important starting point.

However, here's a list of game engines. Not all of them use C++ and I strongly suggest you don't dive in and download one just yet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!