• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help gettin started with DirectX

This topic is 3568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been trying to learn DirectX for the past few days using the DirectX Tutorial site, but it moves to fast for me, and I feel extremly confused. I also don't really understand what I am doing or how I am doing it. Its not that I'm a noob, I just need some better tutorials, and I would greatly appreciate it if some of you guys on here could point me to some awesome beginner tutorials for D3D. I want to learn DirectX for a 3D game, not 2D. And by the way, like I said, I'm not a noob. I know C++ really well, I just havn't done any graphics programming in it. I actually don't use it very often, but now I decided to switch from Dark Basic Professional to C++ for my games after about a year of DBP.

Advertisement
Don't know of any sites really, but the book I'm using: Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D. Luna, is working pretty well for me. (Also a noob) There's a good explanation of what's doing what and example code. Sorry to suggest something that'll cost ya though.

What do you mean by "the DirectX Tutorial site"?

I used www.directxtutorial.com to learn it from scratch. I hope you are not talking about that site, cause it is the easiest one out there! You wont find a better one anywhere else.

Quote:
Original post by Timptation
Don't know of any sites really, but the book I'm using: Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D. Luna, is working pretty well for me. (Also a noob) There's a good explanation of what's doing what and example code. Sorry to suggest something that'll cost ya though.

Seconded. That book is excellent, but I'd recommend that you get the "A Shader Approach" version, as that teaches shaders rather than the old outdated fixed function pipeline.

Yes, that is the site. And, it was extremely easy to follow... at first. I got everything at first, but it dove into D3D too fast, and it got me doing complex functions without knowing/explaning what they do/mean. So... it got kind of cryptic after awhile and I didn't feel like I was grasping the concepts well enough. I mean, I don't want to have to revisit that site all the time just for a simple function definition, or on how something works.

My question is - how did YOU guys get started in D3D? And did it take a long time?

I'm just getting tired of using prebuilt engines, and would like to understand how they work at the core level.

Take a look here www.notjustcode.it
It's in italian, but we translate some articles.

You'll need to learn more about 3D math and computer graphics theory.

For the math, I recommend that you first read the sample chapter from here, and then the one from here. They should get you off to a good start.

I can't think of any good computer graphics links off the top of my head, but there are some nice applets here that graphically demonstrate some graphics concepts, and are also interactive.

In particular, the one about scene graphs (don't worry about what this term means for now) allows you to apply geometric transformations in any order to see how changing the order changes the final result.

You might also try searching for lecture notes from computer graphics courses (some universities make them freely available). They are brief but can still be helpful.

And of course you can always ask questions here about specific topics you don't understand.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement