• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tykenfitz

Getting Started in Game Programming

This topic is 3755 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Everybody, I'm 13 and I was wondering how to get started in game programming. I took a class on c++ and I learned functions and variables and strings and stuff. I made some cool programs but the reason I took the course is that I heard c++ was a good language to use for game programming and the closest thing I made to a game is a guess the number thing. I guess, what I'm asking is where to go from here I love programming and math don't know why just do, and I'm definatly willing to stick with it. So books, classes, anything you guys can recommend? Thanks a ton.

Advertisement
I'm 13, nearly 14 now. I personally would recommend researching into Opengl. I learned it from nehe.gamedev.net, but that's becoming obsolete. I would say get used to C++ first, then go learn Opengl after you have made some form of simple text game. Good Luck!

C++ is a good language for creating games, on larger scales (like crysis) often a small scripting language is used as well like python or lua. So chances are you will end up learning a few languages if you stick with it properly. I wouldn't say learn this or learn that, because some things work better for some than others. What I advise is researching a few of the more popular languages (lua, C++, C#) and start out with just that for a while till you get a good knowledge of it, this makes learning other languages much much easier in the long run and provides more flexability. C++ is not an easy language to pick up straight away unlike the smaller scripting language but is very powerful when used correctly. theres so many different things you could do that I don't really want to pin point any in particular, but it depends what you want to do, saying game programming is still a very very large topic, what in games do you want to do? graphics? physics? ai? sound? the list goes on, but certainly C++ (and a slight tendancy to C#) would a good place to start if you can keep at it, if you think these languages are to difficult start with one of the easier scripting languages like lua or python,

Best of luck
Sean
:)

You should first learn more about C++ so you'll learn more about programming in general. Learn about classes, polymorphism, inheritance, templates, etc., before going into OpenGL, which would require you to know most of those things, anyway. Once you know the fundamentals of C++, start working on some small projects, like tic-tac-toe, hangman, or a text-based adventure game to get some practice and learn the concept of game programming/design. Then, start learning graphics programming with OpenGL. (SDL and DirectX are good options, too).

Here's some books I recommend:
Accelerated C++
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming

I highly recommend Python and Pygame for beginning game development. Not only is it 5 to 10x's faster to program with Python, it's also easy and forgiving. Some people express concerns with the speed of Python, but you can off-load CPU intensive functions to C++ functions using Boost::Python. There is also an OpenGL wrapper for Python called PyOpenGL, plus other free 3D engines written in C++ for speed, but for utilization of Python.

To learn how to be a game programmer, first learn to program, then it's pretty trivial.

If your school has computer science classes then take those. When it comes time to choose a post-secondary school, you can decide whether you want to continue to pursue this.

Outside of school, I'd only suggest working on stuff as long as it motivates you. Try simple 2D games (C++ might be a bad language for this at your age, you'll eventually learn it anyways), that way you can work on stuff that motivates you without getting in too over your head too quickly (I made 2D games in class when I was 15-16).

It’s the year 2008. Python and C# (and Java) are better languages to start with. Even if you already started with C++, I still recommend switching over to another.

If you’re sticking to C++, go through Accelerated C++ and C++ Primer (4th Edition by Lippman) and after that, confirm that you are still interested. We can advise you from there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!