• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SDL using Alternative Languages

This topic is 3512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a good deal of experience doing art for video games but unfortunately don't have a friend with a similar passion for gaming, who is also an experienced programmer. So I'm just sucking it up and doing it myself. The point being, I don't really have a programmer's mind, and you'll have to go easy on me. Sorry! That aside, I have a year of experience with Java, and spent some time with Microsoft's XNA framework. These are nice but I hate the fact that they require crutches to run, be it the .NET framework or the JRE. A few years ago I tried doing some simple programs in C++ (nothing graphics oriented) and thinking back I absolutely LOVE the style of Java and C# in comparison (everything seems cleaner and simpler). So what it comes down to: does a library like SDL.NET or Tao.SDL (using the C# language) require the .NET framework to run? I'm thinking yes; the libraries just provide classes, methods, etc. correct? So, is there a way to use a more recent language than C++ with SDL without some burdensome run-time environment? Thanks.

Advertisement
Yea, that about sums it up. I guess it sounds pretty silly. I just want to figure out all my options.

EDIT: The main reason I'm interested in SDL is because of it's cross-platform nature. I'll be forced to get a Mac soon so whether I like Mac's or not I would like to support that crowd. I guess any cross-platform library would work. SDL seems to have lots of support and documentation.

Maybe you can give FreeBASIC a go.

edit: just read your mac comment, unfortunately FreeBASIC doesn't compile for mac as of yet.

Quote:
Original post by pokoto
These are nice but I hate the fact that they require crutches to run, be it the .NET framework or the JRE.

If you target an older version (like 1.4) then *everybody* has that JRE already installed. I havn't had anyone complain about not having a JRE in years. Couple that with LWJGL and you're on to a winner - I can write games which run great on Mac without even having one to test on. [grin]

Also remember that macs have the JRE "built-in" so if you're on mac you've *always* got a JRE available. If you're really worried about windows users without a JRE you can bundle one with your game - JSmooth is a great way of doing this, as it'll give people a nice familiar .exe to run without any external dependancies.

I would recommend Python and its SDL version, PyGame, to anybody. The only disadvantage to it is that it has only a JIT compiler like the others. Making stand-alone Python programs for anything other than Windows can be tricky although I think the Mac has a utility to do it also. As long as you don't mind distributing your source code with the Python executable you should be okay.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement