• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lode

Flex SDK

This topic is 3778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It seems to me that if, these days, you want a broad audience playing "simple" games, it needs to be web-based. Therefore, I'd like to try making a Flash game. I'm a Linux user, so it seems the way to go is to use the Flex 3 SDK. I downloaded the .zip file containing it, and am now a bit puzzled what to do with it. The Flex SDK does include a compiler to .swf, right? Does anyone here have experience using it? How could I make a graphical game with it? It being a programming language, is it possible to create vector-based animation with it? If not, are there applications for Linux that can do it? Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Lode
It seems to me that if, these days, you want a broad audience playing "simple" games, it needs to be web-based. Therefore, I'd like to try making a Flash game.

I'm a Linux user, so it seems the way to go is to use the Flex 3 SDK.

I downloaded the .zip file containing it, and am now a bit puzzled what to do with it.

The Flex SDK does include a compiler to .swf, right? Does anyone here have experience using it?

Unfortunately I haven't yet set this stuff up under Linux, but in Windows there's a file, mxmlc, which compile stuff to swf (and compc for libraries, I believe). Some quick Googling leads me to believe that, after you've compiled everything appropriately, Linux is generally the same. I believe Ant is suggested as a build tool, but I've always used the FlashDevelop IDE under Windows, so I can't help there, either!

My Googling also didn't show up any Linux Flex SDK zip files... only Subversion repos. I might have just missed it, but make sure you're getting the right thing.

Quote:

How could I make a graphical game with it? It being a programming language, is it possible to create vector-based animation with it? If not, are there applications for Linux that can do it?

The Flex SDK isn't a programming language... but MXML and Actionscript 3 can be used to write a game using it. The Actionscript API has the ability to progmatically generate graphics, and Flex has the ability to embed stuff you've written in other formats, such as png/jpg/etc, svg, other swfs, mp3, etc.

swfmill is a good program that'll allow you to build your own SWFs using a simple XML markup (or a crazy complex one, if you want), so you can make a series of bitmaps into a native Flash movieclip and import that, for instance.

Inkscape's SVG format is read pretty well be the Flex SDK, so it's good for creating vector images and importing them.

As for actual vector animations, I think Anime Studio has a Linux version for $200 which works well for animating and exports to SWF, though I have yet to actually test the SWF stuff. Someone suggested Pencil once, but that one might be better reserved for the hardcore artists :/

I've got some issues with Flex Builder, but it's a pretty solid IDE I guess if you've got the change for it and ram (better be 1gb+) to spare. Personally I would just try to get VIM up and running with everything. There are some syntax and ctags source files floating around the web for AS3, but that may be more trouble than it's worth *shrug*.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not the biggest fan of an IDE like Eclipse (slow!) and since Flex Builder is a plugin for it ... I think I'll be working in Kate :)

About the SDK zip for linux: it's multiplatform, for download on the Adobe site ("Download the Flex 3.0 SDK for all Platforms (ZIP, 38 MB)".

Thanks for the Inkscape tip, it's a great program.

I wrote a tutorial last year on getting started with Flex, it sounds like it's appropriate for where you are at. It uses Flex 2 but I don't think things have changed much.

PS I'm also not a big fan of IDEs, command line FTW.

Quote:
Original post by pinacolada
I wrote a tutorial last year on getting started with Flex, it sounds like it's appropriate for where you are at. It uses Flex 2 but I don't think things have changed much.

PS I'm also not a big fan of IDEs, command line FTW.

That is exactly what I needed! Right down to the PATH thing. You rock :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!