Need Game Ideas

Started by
12 comments, last by losethos 15 years, 9 months ago
I need ideas for games. I wrote a whole operating system just for games http://www.losethos.com, but now I don't have any ideas. It's more or less limited to 2D. Kind-of a solution looking for a problem. I had ideas when I was a kid, but now, not-so-much. I don't want any rip-off ideas. If you want to do games that get released and you're an amateur you can give them to me and I'll put them on the official LoseThos release. I give it away for free and maybe 2-3 people download it a day. They can be as simple as you like. For amateur games, this is probably the best offer you can get ;-) I reserve the right to reject games if they are distasteful, but they can be as crappy as you like. I want to show it can be used by amateurs. Maybe, you want to do a text adventure? LoseThos, by the way has a cool feature for text adventures which go to the command-line -- you can output graphics to the command-line.
Advertisement
My operating system takes 32 Meg for the standard distribution. Simple games are generally under 25,000 bytes compressed, believe it or not. I could let it grow to 60 or 100 Meg, no problem.
I don't think memory is a concern. Exposure and unfamiliarity are, though. 2-3 downloads per day doesn't sound exciting - the average Flash game gets more views. And getting familiar with your customized C/C++ like language... I don't see how that's the best offer an amateur can get.

Your OS looks like an impressive piece of work, but is there reason to actually use it? For you, probably, but for others?

I mean, if you want to create text adventures, why not simply use ncurses?
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
LoseThos is for programming as entertainment. I'm sure a text adventure package doesn't even require knowledge of programming. Ditto that for some FPS packages. Suit yourself. Are your results oriented? Can you play with kernel mods? If you ever want to know how to write your own programs, you've got to be humble and do simple programs. The command-line is simple. Thats how all of us old-school programmers learned.
I write programs for fun using haXe or Python - with the advantage of documented features, existing API's and great community support - so I can focus on what I find important: developing games. Games that can be played by others. So yes, I'm results-oriented.

As for not requiring programming know-how, so what? If it leads to exciting results, does it matter? :)

As for building command-line programs, that's what most programmers start with. I did, too. But how does that relate to LoseThos? And why would I need to know about kernel mods to enjoy programming?

Ah well, to each his own I guess. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I've looked at LoseThos; it is nifty, and has potential.

I say, start with a StarFox clone and work your way up from there. That's more than possible under 640x480x4bpp, especially with dithering. What kind of palette control do you have?
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
I haven't heard of StarFox. I really don't want clones, if possible. Yep -- it has 16 fixed colors (4-bits), no palette option. I don't even use them all ;-) (lazy)

Are you talking about selecting intermediate shades for pixels near each other? I tried mixing colors by alternating colors during odd and even refreshes. It worked with only a few combinations -- most combinations looked like crap.

It wouldn't have to be an exact clone, just a game with similar mechanics. Games like Starfox are always fun, and I think the genre (3D space scroller?) is ripe for expansion (albeit a little outdated).
Quote:Original post by losethos
I haven't heard of StarFox.

As a Starfox Fanboy. I nearly had a heart attack when I read this.

Starfox Wikipedia Entry

I'm sorry, but I need to lie down.
The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.
Oh! That kind of dithering. Maybe I could add it. It doesn't sound like fun -- I wrote all the graphics routines myself and have to modify them myself. It sort-of has brushes right now -- it'll step through a line or circle and plot a bitmap you supply onto the points. You might step by twos and plot a mixed-color brush, but it wouldn't give what you want, which is a consistent pattern. Do I have to do this? Does it sound like fun to you!?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement