A bunch of low level programming questions....

Started by
10 comments, last by Promit 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by the_edd
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
(1) How do we ensure CPU cache coherency in the presence of context switching? For example lets say user program A executes for 10us, then user program B executes for 10us. What methods are used to prevent B from trashing the cache?

The OS and the hardware take care of this for you. If you are writing operating system code at that level, there is a lot of processor documentation and graduate-level literature that you should read.

The OS will indeed take care of this for you, but often poorly. For example if thread #1 and thread #2 are continuously updating adjacent elements array[1] and array[2], the OS and/or processor may take locks in the various cache levels to make sure that the writes are seen by all processors, even if they only touch their respective elements.

Related video of a presentation by Herb Sutter with some examples. (skip to around 1:18 for a specific example). And here's a DDJ article.

It's sad, but you really do need to know a little more about your target system to write efficient threaded code.

Pretty cool video but he takes way too long to get his point across about how you can always get more bandwidth but are limited by latency.
Just having built my own computers for the last 10 years I could've told you harddrive and memory speeds suck compared to the cpu! And how they tried to hide it with larger L1,L2 and now with AMD newest cpu's L3 cache!
Anyways, I only got halfways since I don't have like 2hrs(faster than reading the hennessy/patterson or intel books though) to watch the whole thing and he never even got around to actually doing any programming and didn't cover multicore at all. I'm guessing he just gave suggestions for keeping the pipeline full using threads or something similar in the end?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
(1) What kind of addresses does the CPU cache store in the presence of virtual memory and many different user processes? I don't think it stores physical addresses because the correct page at that location may not be paged in. I don't think it can be virtual addresses because those are duplicate across every process.
This should more or less explain it.
Quote:(2) When a context switch occurs the operating system saves all the registers of the currently executing user process. AFIK the OS only stores the standard registers. What happens to the many CPU specific registers that may be in use at the time?
And again. I'm fairly sure that Windows on x86, at least, will store out the entire register state in software.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement