• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew1979

Car motion help

This topic is 3601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All I have recently created a game scene in OpenGL which I've created a basic structure of a van. I now want to move it realistically. I can translate it fine around the scene but not realistically in that I can't make it translate in the direction the object is facing. Any one know of a good tutorial for this sort of thing? What area in maths/physics do I need to read up on? I'm aware it will involve trig but don't know the rest. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Andrew

Advertisement
Start with turning the object into a rigid body using some sort of physics simulation. Then apply forces to the body to make it behave the way you want.

If you use a physics library like ODE or PhysX you can connect wheels to your body, which is very intuitive.

However, constrained bodies are pretty computationaly expensive. Most vehicle simulations make use of a single body and ray casting to simulate the other bodies (the wheels). You could download Havok and take a look at their vehicle kit for some good ideas on how a vehicle should be setup.

My website has a car physics resource download.

Contains, car physics tutorials, physics papers and source code.

Hope you find it useful.

Bottom of this page

http://www.kjmsoftware.co.uk/games.htm

KJM

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!