• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
c4c0d3m0n

SDL - OpenGL

This topic is 3686 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello community I've been programming nice little games using SDL for a while now. Sometimes though, I already feel the pain in not having any graphical acceleration. I want to move to OpenGL (keeping SDL for things like event handling) this summer, but for now, I'm not really planning in programming any 3D applications. Still, I'm guessing that OpenGL comes with some more advanced (accelerated) 2D functionality like rotating and zooming sprites or maybe nice glow effects. My question is, is it wise to switch to OpenGL just for 2D applications, or should I rather stick with SDL? Also, will it be a big difference, or will I be able to rewrite my drawing functions pretty easely (adding functionality that OpenGL supports of course)? Thanks for any help

Advertisement
I'm not so familiar with the SDL graphic programming. But creating an 2D engine with OpenGL is not hard. I would choose OpenGL. Even if you won't use the 3D effects there will be lots of stuff that will make it easier such as transparency, rotation etc.

Thanks! That was exactly the kind of responce I was looking for. Is there a chance that there anyone can link me to some good OpenGL 2D programming tutorials? I liked the way Lazy Foo did his tutorials, I just want some help about the basic OpenGL functions and then I should be all set :)

You can look at NeHe's site. I'm not sure he has lessons specific to 2D but all you need to understand is the rendering pipeline and how various transformations affect the way primitives are drawn to the screen.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Original post by c4c0d3m0n
Thanks! That was exactly the kind of responce I was looking for. Is there a chance that there anyone can link me to some good OpenGL 2D programming tutorials? I liked the way Lazy Foo did his tutorials, I just want some help about the basic OpenGL functions and then I should be all set :)

You'll probably just be better off buying the OpenGL red book to be honest.

If you're going to learn OpenGL, don't use NeHe's site. Get the latest OpenGL red book and start with that.

I really love using OpenGL for 2D applications. I read "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" and really liked it. The OpenGL Red Book should also work, and it's available for free online (older versions, but they're still plenty up-to-date). Google it.

Quote:
Original post by oler1s
If you're going to learn OpenGL, don't use NeHe's site. Get the latest OpenGL red book and start with that.

At least give the OP a valid reason not to use Nehe's site, don't just say DO NOT use it. Anyway, the OP wanted an online resource from what I understood, of course a book would be better but NeHe's site is not that terrible as people say it is. Yes it has bad programming habits but in the end it's ok if you just want to learn how to use OpenGL a not how to program...

I believe my own programming habits have settled enough not to be influenced by the first tutorials I read. I'm really looking for understanding of how to use OpenGL functions. Lazy Foo's introduction looks quite complicated already, I guess I'm in for something this summer. I'll look at NeHe's and at that red book you mention (chinese communism much?)

Thanks guys

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!