• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
snowfell

OpenGL opengl command understanding

This topic is 3751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering if I could get some help understanding what a few opengl/C++ commands do and what they are used for. The following commands are what I could use some help with: -TranslateMessage() -DispatchMessage() -PostQuitMessage() -DefWindowProc() -PFD_MAIN_PLAIN -ReleaseDC() -SwapBuffers() Anything that describes what these codes are used for would help alot, Thanks

Advertisement
Some clarification: the things you listed aren't typically called "commands" and aren't specific to neither C++ nor OpenGL. What you've listed that ends with () are functions while the PFD_MAIN_PLAIN thing is a preprocessor token, also called a #define. They are part of the Windows API. They are some of the things you'll need to use in order to create a window and setup an opengl context within. Once this is done, you'll be able to start using actual OpenGL. You'll easily recognize opengl functions as they have the naming convention glFooBar ("gl" prefix followed by pascal case).

As for help with those functions and this #define, head over to MSDN where you'll get a nice search box. Search for each of your items and you'll get documentation. If you have any more trouble after this, come back and ask more questions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!