• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
scipio7

User Interface

This topic is 3632 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For a while I've been designing a game that is meant to be a space simulation. The user interface for my simulation will basically be the ship's computer system. What I want to do is to develop the user interface separately from the game and then be able to easily import it into the game. Does anyone know the best way to do this? The end plan is to have a game that is 3-d and has interfaces to the ship's computer located at different terminals within the 3-d world. The players could then use the terminals to do things with the ship's computer. Is there a good way to create these 2-d interfaces separately and then be able to easily include them in this way in a 3-d game? Scipio7

Advertisement
I think Doom 3 did something like this... it had combination locks, and the player used an ingame keypad to enter the numbers.

I haven't attempted anything like this, but my first attempt would be to render the ui to a texture, and apply it to a given poly. Then, when a player 'uses' that ui, you can cast a ray from the view forward (or, if you're using a mouse cursor, use something like picking) to get the poly. Then (I've been out of the scene a while) I know there's a way to determine the texture coordinates at the point the player indicated. Once you have that, you can refer to the ui texture to see what they clicked on.

Is that too vague to help?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!