What is XNA?

Started by
6 comments, last by boolean010 15 years, 9 months ago
Sorry about the newbie post. I want to find out what is xna? I read somewhere that it can be used to make games for the xbox360 but you have to suscribe to xbox live. Can xna be used also to make games for windows?
** boolean010 **
Advertisement
This should answer the "what is XNA?" question: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=500747.

And yes, XNA Game Studio is perfectly fit for making Windows games. It's also completely free to use for making Windows games, unless you want to use the LIVE networking APIs. But as long as you don't use those, you don't have to pay anything to make games for Windows.
XNA is a set of tools meant for making games with it's own framework, which is based on the .NET framework. It's used to make anything and everything related to games for Windows. Like NickGravelyn said, it's great for making Windows games and it's also free. Here's a wiki.
Thanks for the links guys. As I said I'm not really familiar with xna. Would I be able to use xna with c++ or do I have to use c#. I want to download the latest version of xna and give it a try. Can you give me a link where I can find the latest version of it and anything else that I need. If I cant use xna with c++ then don't bother. I was just a little curios, I think be able to develop games for the xbox360 is pretty cool. Thanks for the replies I will check out those links that you have provided. Happing coding.
** boolean010 **
XNA is a D3D9 framework for C# with some nice little extras. If you are going to use C++, might as well just stick with D3D.
You know what, since xma seem to make making games easier. I think I might give it a go. Are there any good tutorials on using xna with c#. What do I need to download to get started?
** boolean010 **
XNA is a tool used with Visual Studio 05 or Visual C# 05. The new version 3.0 can be used with 08. XNA makes it easy to make video games. And you do not need Xbox live. But if you want to make games for xbox 360 you will need a creators acount i believe.
Check here
http://creators.xna.com/en-us/membership
Thanks to everyone.
** boolean010 **

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement