• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Medic

What tools to use?

This topic is 3601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm learning game dev to create a machine simulation. My goal is to take a CAD model (Solidworks) of the machine, add a physics engine to take care of the movements and create an Input/Output interface so that I can interact with the machine. The machine is similar to pinball in that balls move through it by their physics and there are parts of the machine that can be moved by the operator to change the path of the balls. So far looked at Blender/Bullet and 3ds Max/Havok as the development tool. Reading throught the tutorials for these packages I didn't get a good understanding of the dev process. Any thoughts on what would be a good tool set for this type of problem? Thanks, Mark.

Advertisement

Hi,

I'm an engineer by training but have several years experience in C and assembler, plus some visual basic but my work is mainly related to mathematical modeling programs such as Matlab, Labview etc.

I haven't done any dll or API work but would learn if that was the best way.
I've spent a few years creating machine simulations but only for rigid body motion, slider crank, linear motion, prismatic joints etc. Now I want to include consumables, which have collisions and contacts with each other.

New ground for me but I see this type of physics demonstrated every day in adverts and film. I figure there are standard tools with defined interfaces for achieving these effects???

Thanks,

Mark.

I think usually animation is easier that programming, especially you need to know the file format and interpolation for programming the animation. I'd suggest you go for 3DsMax/Maya or any modeling packages, since what you want is just machine simulation. Import the file from Solidworks should do.

I guess. However the visuals are only one part of it. The bit I really need is the physics engine integration.

My first problem is analogous to billiards with moving masses that collide and transfer momentum to each other. I took a look at the free Havok Physics SDK but didn't see what steps would be required to represent this type of system.

Using 3DS is really a convenient way of getting to the physics engine. Any examples of physics engine integration would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

IIRC, both Max and Maya have 3D engines as part of their animation system that you should be able to write scripts for.

Edit: Ahh, here we go LINK.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!