• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mabufo

C++ graphics library for a beginner

This topic is 3745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! I have absolutely no experience with anything graphical, but I know my way around C++ fairly well. I'm interested in trying my hand at making a 2d game, and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to an easy to use, and easy to install graphics library. If someone could point me in the direction of a library that is easy to use and install I woul be very appreciative.

Advertisement
SDL or SFML I would recommend either of these. Personally I have more experience with SDL, it is older and C based, though SFML looks promising, though it is newer and C++ and more OO.

Allegro is another popular and simple 2D API for C++.
I find it easier to install and use since you only need to download 1 file whereas SDL requires you to download several different files just to do basic stuff like load images, sound, etc.
Needless to say it gets a bit messy.
Also, they need need to update the SDL homepage someday. It hasn't changed since like I first used it years ago and still hard to find information to get started if you are new.
But once you figure out what you need it's about as easy to use as Allegro.

I'd second SFML, but either SDL or Allegro could also be good choices.

SFML is much never and has a cleaner and more modern design and comes with excellent documentation, but there aren't as many people already using it, so you'll find less sample code and existing documentation than with other options. There is however a growing and active community at the SFML forums who are generally pretty helpful, and as the community is still small you're quite likely to get responses from the actual creator of the library if you have issues.

I'd recommend taking a look at some of the tutorials and sample code available for each of those options and picking whichever looks most comfortable to try out - or if you're willing to put in a little more time, you could try each.

I last looked at Allegro literally eight years ago when I first looked at C++, tried to make games using Allegro and gave up. I haven't looked at it since but no doubts it's improved since then [grin].

I've never tried SFML, but I can vouch for SDL; it's feature-rich and rather easy to use. It's mostly written in C but you can write it into C++ applications no problem at all.

I'd say go with allegro...for beginners its pretty good...i started game development with the j harbour book "game prog all in one(2nd ed)". He uses allegro throughout the book and its pretty cool.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!