std::string search

Started by
7 comments, last by alvaro 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi I have made a search function which compares two strings from list searching if two strings are equal. Function is working perfectly, but I'm concerned about speed in case when I will have thousands of string data.

struct custom
{
     int id;
     std::string stringData;
};
std::list<custom> m_stringList;
custom* search(std::string strExt)
	{
		for(std::list<custom>::iterator it=m_stringList.begin();it!=m_stringList.end();it++)
		{
			if((*it).stringData== strExt)
				return &(*it);
		}
		return 0;
	}

As you see I have one list container of 'custom' data, and I'm searching by string value to get id value. Can this string search be made faster? thanks in advance
Advertisement
It looks like what you are trying to do is look up a Custom by string, you should be using a std::map for this. Here is a link to Wikipedia that explains how it works and gives an example of how to use it.

Hope that helps,
Great!

almost the same thing I wanted to use. But again I would like to ask how fast is this? I need fastest algorithm possible, because I'm performing lot of searches in real-time application, and I don't really want user to wait because application needs to iterate through thousands and thousand of entries.

The look up time for a std::map is definitely going to be fast enough for your needs and in fact most peoples needs.
Thank you Dave
No problem.
If in doubt, profile it and see. It should be trivial to come up with some speed tests. But as Dave said, it'll be plenty fast.
Quote:Original post by Dave
The look up time for a std::map is definitely going to be fast enough for your needs and in fact most peoples needs.

std::map has O(log n) lookup time. In your case, I'd use unordered_map/hash_map with average O(1) lookup time.
hash_map is the natural choice here, but in some cases you can do better. If the set of strings that are used as keys doesn't change very often and the strings are short, the fastest structure I know is a trie.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement