• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jedimace

Commercial Game Engines

This topic is 3629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was looking for a game engine for less than or about 1000$. I looked at Torque in which the demos ran very slow, so I don't know if it's good enough to make good games. What I want in this engine is a map editor(one with the ability to draw textures(like a path) onto terrains, and maybe AI), very good graphics capabilities(that still run fast), physics, controller/joystick input(and for a game system if possible), and to be able to distribute the map editor to my map editors. Could someone suggest to me the best one to use that can run as fast as a commercial game? 3D Game Studios looked good, but I need tutorials, and it has an ugly interface. Please help me find a solution to my problem. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Jedimace
Forget the reqs. What is the best?

You might aswell ask "what programming language is best?". Depends on target hardware, budget, how much you want to do yourself (does your game have unique features that'd require being built up from scratch? can these be integrated to interface with the engine?), and numerous other factors.

If it's your first attempt at making a substantial game and you want to use an engine, I'd recommend OGRE (http://www.ogre3d.org/). You'll get a taste of engine use and start to understand the questions you need to be asking before you get your wallet out and fork out on a license for an engine (if, of course, you need any functionality beyond what OGRE provides).

Quote:
Original post by Winegums
Quote:
Original post by Jedimace
Forget the reqs. What is the best?

You might aswell ask "what programming language is best?". Depends...

Absolutely. You might as well ask, "what's the best [variable X]."
The answer is ALWAYS "it depends."
Always.
Without exception.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!