• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jon723

[web] need some advice/guidance on generating dynamic links based on files in a directory

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of creating a pretty extensive website and one of the features that I need to implement is a type of "index" page that list's a bunch of links based on some html pages I have in sub-directories on my web server. What I need to do is, scan a directory and for each html file, open the file and extract the title (using the HTML DOM) so that I can dynamically create a link based on the location and the title of the file (this part seems straight forward). My question is how would I go about scanning a directory so that I can scan a file, is there a specific web technology I can use (php, asp, java script, prayer)? Jon

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jon723
is there a specific web technology I can use (php, asp, java script, prayer)?

You can use all of the server side scripting technologies (PHP, ASP). Client side scripting (javascript) doesn't (normally) have access to the server's file system. I've never heard of Prayer, but who knows, divine intervention might do the trick. [wink]

Anyway, deja vu (PHP). You may also consider storing the website's page tree in a database, together with the desired meta data (page title). YMMV.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!