• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Guy Meh

Joints for (very) low poly characters

This topic is 3802 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was bored lately so I've been putting together some low-poly 3D models lately. When I say low poly, I mean really low poly; I'm trying to make models with less than 500 triangles. However, I also want these models to be useable in skeletal animation (character models, that is). I'm just having trouble figuring out how to model the joints. Here's a robot for instance: Perspective Front Side I haven't created the elbows, knees, thighs/hips, or shoulders because I'm unsure what structure they should have. I could make the elbows look like this, where I can see how the arm can bend up or down, but I'm unsure how well it would handle "wrist" turning. I could make the forearm and the upper arm separate entities, which would make sense for the robot, that won't help when I want to create "organic" characters that I'd definately want as a single mesh. The fact that my modeller doesn't have an animation tool also makes things harder to test (it's Wings 3D). :p

Advertisement

You could simply have them (the body segments) overlap. Low poly's would probably be used at a distance where you probably wont see much detail of any joint.

There should be standard skeleton patterns somewhere online. Years ago I did some with only 22 separate body parts (human figures) and they were adaquate at a distance (at least for what I was doing).

I thought about just having the joints overlap too. Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm just going to have the models seen at a distance though. If I put these models in a game, I'm envisioning it taking place in some kind of "cyber world" like Darwinia. So, I'd keep the models low-poly, even up close, because (a) I'm interested in the art style and (b) I'm not that great a modeller. :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!