audio programming question (C++)

Started by
7 comments, last by hh10k 15 years, 9 months ago
I'm wondering where to get started with audio programming, not in the DirectSound, FMod sense, but in the windows media play, opening, parsing and playing audi files sense. I understand how to read an audio file, but how would i play the sounds? is it completely platform specific? Would i have to use the win32 api, or is it reasonable to try and write your own routines the same way you would load and render an image?
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
What about something like OpenAL?
well i don't want to focus on say, adding audio to a game, i'm thinking more along hte lines of a media player
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
What's the distinction again?
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
well i don't want to focus on say, adding audio to a game, i'm thinking more along hte lines of a media player

If you don't want to use OpenAL then why not something like Quicktime? Full featured and supports lots of audio formats. The Windows SDK is available on Apples website.
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath

OpenAL has nothing to do with games. It's just an audio API. Sounds like a perfect fit for your needs.

-me
now that you mention it, yeah that would work wouldn't it? i heard some rumblings about openAL being a bit out of date, any truth to that?
actually I found the last release for OpenAL is on December 12, 2006 (though wiki mentioned is on 1.1 / July 12, 2007). It seems to be stagnant for a while.
Quote:Original post by gan
actually I found the last release for OpenAL is on December 12, 2006 (though wiki mentioned is on 1.1 / July 12, 2007). It seems to be stagnant for a while.

Audio isn't evolving like 3D graphics. A few years ago I used OpenAL and had heaps of problems with the 'optimised' vendor implementations, but the DirectSound3D wrapper worked reliably enough. I assume after a few API updates and remaining bug fixes, there isn't much that needs doing.

I damn hope NVidia and Creative have fixed their drivers though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement