• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Xekyn

Nightly Build

This topic is 3751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was looking at JME and a Java binding for openGL and came across the term "Nightly Build." I was wondering if anyone could explain what Nightly Build means. Sorry, google really didn't give me a simple answer. I'm guessing the Nightly build is a day to day update, but is it better for me to get a release version or the nightly build? Or is the nightly build prone to bugs?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Xekyn
Sorry, google really didn't give me a simple answer.
Seriously...?
Obligatory Wikipedia link
Quote:
In software development, a neutral build is a build that reflects the current state of the source code checked into the source code version control system, without any developer-specific changes.

A nightly build is a neutral build that takes place automatically, typically when no one is likely to be working in the office. The results of the build are inspected by the arriving programmers, who generally place a priority on ensuring the neutral build does not break.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!